Tru-Stone Laser Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fotographik

I've just been asked to produce a few pens dressed in Tru-Stone. The catch is she want's them engraved. Can this material be laser engraved?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

yes. but be aware that you might need to use a colorfil after- it's not unusual for the engraved area to have a lot lighter look to it after engraving- think of how your tru-stone blank looks after sanding with 150 or 220 grit. Without the additional steps spent to remove scratches and bring the blank up to a polished look, that brings out the full (and darker) color of the blank, there is a notable contrast.

Last edited:

phillywood

yes. but be aware that you might need to use a colorfil after- it's not unusual for the engraved area to have a lot lighter look to it after engraving- think of how your tru-stone blank looks after sanding with 150 or 220 grit. Without the additional steps spent to remove scratches and bring the blank up to a polished look, that brings out the full (and darker) color of the blank, there is a notable contrast.

Lyle, what are the cost her in TX for doing that, and would it make the cost of pen outrageous?

Jim Smith

I have had Tru-Stone pens engraved and colorfilled and they came out great. You'll want to be carefull with where you put the engraving if you're using a "matching" colorfill. For example, the last one I had done I used the black with gold matrix blank and gold colorfill, so I had to make sure that the area to be engraved didn't have too much gold matrix or it would have blended into the colorfill and made the engraving more difficult to see/read.

Jim Smith

lwalden

I'd guess the costs aren't to different from most parts of the country. Getting a name engraved is around $4 or $5, (at least once you've established a relationship) and if using a graphic it would largely depend on the graphic, how clean and usable it is or if the engraver has to do a lot of clean-up and/or resizing of the image(s) being used...

Lyle, what are the cost her in TX for doing that, and would it make the cost of pen outrageous?

fotographik

Thanks for the response folks. I had intended to color-fill the engraving...just wasn't sure if the engraving process itself was possible on that particular material.

Top Bottom