Tru-stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I turned a Truestone Dino-bone blank last night to go on a Broadwell pen last night. Realizing that I am not that experienced with different materials.....is it just me or is that like turning a rock? I have turned the white trustone and it was not bad at all, but this was very hard. I thought I might use my my whole skew as many times as I shapened it. I could not really get ribbons going...am I doing something wrong?

Also--on the Photochromic blanks, after I get them turned they look somewhat enemic, the colors are not very vibrant, I am painting the tubes white, is that wrong? Should I be using black or green for green etc?
Mike aka Moke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

I can't help with the photochromatic, maybe Wolftat can.

Tru stone is very hard, and some are harder than others. Like dino bone is hard that the marble. It is pretty normal to have to sharpen a lot.

Mapster

Keep to it is my advise. Tru-stones are tough at times, and require lots of time. Keep it sharp and keep working. Depending on the type of tool you have, an upgrade might be the way to go.

Like mapster said above, you may want to upgrade tools. I switched to the woodchuck with a carbide cutter and truestone cuts clean and quick.

moke

Mapster--Ken----
Thanks for the advice. I will stay with it especially since I bought a half a dozen trustone blanks. LOL

I hate to sound ignorant, I see the woodchuck in various sites and it seems like it either has no handle or a really short handle. Can you recommend a place where I can get one for a resonable price with a long handle? Also how long do those inserts last? I didn't know if that was an issue. Should I buy a lot of extras or just one? If you have anyother advice about buying one, please let me know that too.
Thanks
Mike aka Moke

bgibb42

.....is it just me or is that like turning a rock?

Actually.......yes! Tru-stone is real, pulverized stone mixed together with resin to create an easily turned product. Some are more easily turned than others, though.:rolleyes: As others have suggested, a carbide tool will work very well, but a sharp gouge (what I use) or skew will work just as well, albeit a bit slower.

Mapster

R and B crafts has one for $70 or $75 with a handle, not specific on the type of handle. http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm has one for $62.50, $7.50 for an 8inch handle. That site is run by Bitshird of the IAP aka Ken Ferrell. That is all I know of. If you want a longer handle, you could check CSUSA, they have some handles, but you will probably have to turn your own.

moke

Mapster---
I vacation at Sanibel Island every year...you live in an awesome area! Do I want to buy extra cutters/inserts or is that a big deal?
Mike

Mapster

Can't answer that question with certainty, but as far as I have heard, one should be enough for a while. You could certainly turn half a dozen tru-stones with one insert, and maybe even one side of an insert. The four sides will last quite a while. Sanibel is a very nice place by the way. We will have to meet at Woodcraft sometime!

bitshird

R and B crafts has one for $70 or $75 with a handle, not specific on the type of handle. http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm has one for $62.50, $7.50 for an 8inch handle. That site is run by Bitshird of the IAP aka Ken Ferrell. That is all I know of. If you want a longer handle, you could check CSUSA, they have some handles, but you will probably have to turn your own.

The 8 inch handles are Ash, but I also make a 6 inch handle that is a little ergonomically shaped out of Sapele, it's a beautiful wood I believe it's a type of Mahogany

PenMan1

You need to talk to Ken (bitshird). If you are going to turn a lot of tur-stone, IMHO, there is NO substitute for a Woodchuck Pen Pro.

My "Lil Chuckie" eats tru-stone, my hand-created seashell blanks, aluminum, brass, Georgia Fat Wood, Pecan and (Ken will tell you THIS IS NOT advised) 440 stainless steel for breakfast, before we get to the hard stuff!

The "Lil Chuckie" was the best money I ever spent....I'm still waiting for a Paul Huffman vise... But the Woodchuck is a soild investment!

Last edited:

dl351

Just to echo what's been said, I recommend getting a Woodchuck Pen Pro. My first Tru-stone was a white one. My second, a turquoise. Both of those turned fine with my gouge. Then I tried the Yellow Dino Bone. I just knocked off the corners of the blank and the gouge was dull. I got the Woodchuck to finish it, and cutting it was a breeze.

I highly recommend the Woodchuck Pen Pro.

dexter0606

Mike
I just finished turning up my first Dino yesterday. I've done a bunch of Tru-stones but that by far was the toughest.
Had to believe dinosaurs are extinct with bones that hard!

moke

Hey thanks Guys---
As always, I get great advice and no one makes fun of the Rookie....Jeff, that thing was unbelieveable. It seemed to laugh at my gouge and dulled my skew in seconds. My wife was walking in and out of the shop and was listening to my comments, which were not suitable for a church setting, and I told her to get a rock from the flower garden and that HAS to turn easier!!!

Ken---I will order a Woodchuck today, is there a tutorial anywhere?
Thanks
Mike aka Moke

moke

Andy---by the way, after I told my wife to get me a Rock...she rolled her eyes and I am SURE she now thinks I was a window licker in the Short Bus!!!!!
Mike

PenMan1

Andy---by the way, after I told my wife to get me a Rock...she rolled her eyes and I am SURE she now thinks I was a window licker in the Short Bus!!!!!
Mike

Too Funny! I'll save ya a seat on the bus:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Parson

I used to use the "short bus" comment about myself and others too. But I met Ethan, a nine year old boy who is so precious and has learning disabilities and needs that short bus. He's teased constantly by other kids and taken advantage of on the playground with so-called friends.

I don't mean to put you guys on a guilt trip, but if you stop and think about this quip you'll see how incredibly cruel it is in reality. Plus, we'll all be old and feeble one day and in wheelchairs and then WE will be the ones appreciating that short bus. Payback's a female dog, huh!

Of course, I'm going to be the short bus rider who has turned thousands of pens, many of which are true-stone (just to keep this post in line with the thread contents!)

I've only turned malachite, malachite/asurite, and lapis. The malachite was the softest of the three. Man I gotta get that carbide tipped chisel.

PenMan1

I'M SORRY

I used to use the "short bus" comment about myself and others too. But I met Ethan, a nine year old boy who is so precious and has learning disabilities and needs that short bus. He's teased constantly by other kids and taken advantage of on the playground with so-called friends.

I don't mean to put you guys on a guilt trip, but if you stop and think about this quip you'll see how incredibly cruel it is in reality. Plus, we'll all be old and feeble one day and in wheelchairs and then WE will be the ones appreciating that short bus. Payback's a female dog, huh!

Of course, I'm going to be the short bus rider who has turned thousands of pens, many of which are true-stone (just to keep this post in line with the thread contents!)

I've only turned malachite, malachite/asurite, and lapis. The malachite was the softest of the three. Man I gotta get that carbide tipped chisel.

You are absolutely correct, Sir! It is one thing to make fun of myself. It is entirely ANOTHER thing to put down others or infer that something is wrong with them simply because of one's station in life. I hope that you know that this happened UNINTENTIONALLY and all references have always been to the questionable judgement that I used.

It NEVER EVEN occurred to me that making fun of myself with this reference could be hurtful to someone else. It was never intended that way, and now that I know, IT WILL NO LONGER CONTINUE!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I would give the shirt off of my back to help another, regardless of one's abilities or station in life. I have always tried to live a good life by setting a good example. My references here WERE WRONG! Thank you for pointing it out!

Parson

Like I said, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel guilty and I know you didn't mean any harm... but this is one area where God has really busted my chops in the last couple of months as I have asked him to help me see where my character could use some refinement.

Eliminating the short bus quip has not been easy for me. I am appalled at how often I said it without thinking!

PenMan1

Where do you get tru stone blanks? What is the best kit to use them with

I really like the Black Gemstone with Gold Web and the Red Gemstone with Gold Web-my two favorites. Arizona Silohuette is the only place I have been able to find those two.

Most of the other supply houses have all of the other Tru-Stone. Just take your pick, I have dealt with most all of them and they are all good and ship quickly.

skywizzard

Look at http://randbcrafts.com Richard has about 60 colors plus M3 metal blanks. I just checked and he has extended his 20% discount for June until July 4 for IAP members.

As for the best kit, it shows best on something at least the size of the Jr. series I think. Finish of course depends entirely on the blank color. I have to second all the opinions on the Woodchuck, absolutely the best way to go with the Tru-Stone. Good Luck.

VampMN

Where do you get tru stone blanks? What is the best kit to use them with
I would suggest checking out http://www.randbcrafts.com/main_page.html

Richard was very helpful when I had questions, and they have a bigger selection of tru-stone than I have seen anywhere else. I know I haven't been a member for a long time, but I have lurked for a long time and done several searches about tru-stone, and I have never seen anyone say anything but good things about them here on IAP.

oneula

the carbide tools on truestone are unbeatable. A super sharp rounded scraper/skew will work but you'll be sharpeneing alot more than turning with the carbide tool.

And you can make or add your own longer handle if you want

richard at randbcrafts is a great asset to IAP. Treats people very well with price, product and advice.

As far as extra cutters, I bought 4 extra, with my woodchuck. Not much money, saved on shipping and will always have one available when I need it.

randyrls

How do you sharpen the carbide inserts once they become dull? Can I use normal sharpening techniques?

Rick and ALL; The easiest way to sharpen the carbide insert is with a credit card diamond hone and a bit of oil. Drop of oil on the card, hold insert with two fingers. Rub in circular pattern for 30 seconds, turn insert 90 degrees and repeat. Clean off card and insert with paint thinner. Takes 5 minutes tops!

DON'T use the kind with the holes in them. The holes will catch on the insert.

moke

When you say carbide do you mean the woodchuck or just regular tools? I just have a set of HSS tools, and never really had an issue, what advantage do carbide tools have other than holding an edge longer.

I got my Trustone from AS---I've been putting them on those Braodwell kits from PSI---Lots of guys think they are goudy, and I can't say as I disagreee, but I have been selling them qiute well. Well a couple a week...thats good for me.
Mike AKA: Moke

bitshird

The only real advantage to Carbide tooling is that it will hold an edge many times longer than M2 HSS which is what the majority are made fro and also a lot longer than the tools made from Powdered Metal . Carbide is roughly 25 times harder than conventional HSS, and 10 to 15 times harder than the powdered metal tools, plus the tools won't beat you up on long turning sessions, especially doing bowls or large spindles. and it really is hard to resharpen the inserts, the credit card diamond cards are the best, but the inserts really aren't that expensive, and in fact the cost has actually come down in the past 3 months.

Top Bottom