Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

I just finished my first Lapis Blue Tru-Stone Jr. Statesmen FP. It looks great, just don't have a picture yet.

And I have to say, that tru-stone is the most miserable stuff I've ever turned or finished. I think only a ball-peen hammer could dull tools quicker. And it took me 3 times longer to sand and polish compared to corian or acrylic.
If it didn't look so purdy when polished up I don't think it would be worth it. So yes, I'm going to be getting me some more of the stuff.
I'm a glutton for punishment, can't you tell? ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I like turning tru-stone. It's not nearly as brittle as some of the acrylics. So send it all to me and I'll save you the trouble [:D]

gerryr

What tool are you using? I use a round nose scraper on Tru Stone and haven't had any problems with it making the scraper dull faster than anything else, not nearly as bad as antler. I have found that the Lapis Tru Stone is harder than either the Blanco Nero or Malachite.

If you don't send your Tru-Stone to Stan, send to me... I would rather turn Tru-Stone than Acryllic... you are right... it makes a beautiful pen. Matter of fact, I used the same blank for a Christmas gift pen for my wife's ex-husband...

and I turn with the same tool as Gerry.. the round nose scraper... which I also use on my deer horn... which is hard on the tools.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I use an Alan Lacer skew on the trustone, and it throws the most sensual shavings all over the lathe....I love trustone, it takes some patience when getting it polished up toward the end, but it makes a pretty finished product....If you need a third address to send your stuff....consider me!

arioux

Originally posted by Rojo22
<br />I use an Alan Lacer skew on the trustone, and it throws the most sensual shavings all over the lathe....I love trustone, it takes some patience when getting it polished up toward the end, but it makes a pretty finished product....If you need a third address to send your stuff....consider me!

Does your wife know about this?[}:)]

Alfred

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br /> Matter of fact, I used the same blank for a Christmas gift pen for my wife's ex-husband...

Umm, OK, that's a bit odd

HECK, no Stan. It's a bargain if he only had to give her 'ex' a pen to take her.. I personally would throw in two pens to compensate the poor soul[:eek:)]

-Peter-[:D]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by arioux
<br />
Originally posted by Rojo22
<br />I use an Alan Lacer skew on the trustone, and it throws the most sensual shavings all over the lathe....I love trustone, it takes some patience when getting it polished up toward the end, but it makes a pretty finished product....If you need a third address to send your stuff....consider me!

Does your wife know about this?[}:)]

Alfred

Ohhhh yeah! She loves to come in and watch...

Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />How do you finish Tru Stone? Do you use the same method as for acrylics?

Here is how I finish Tru Stone,

My process uses two sanding materials, Abralon and Micromesh. I also use Novus Plastic scratch remover.

My sanding regime is all wet sanding through all the Abralon grits (500-1000-2000-4000). I then switch to Micromesh and wet sand(6000-8000-12000). I wipe the blank clean between each grit, applying only light pressure with each grit. I then buff with the Novus and I usually am done…takes 5 minutes or less.

The biggest factor I find is a clean continous surface left on the blank from the tool prior to sanding and refining the surface. I use a skew and I hone the edge carefully before making the final pass.
Hope that helps, oh, and I use a shop towel to cover the ways while I wet sand, helps a lot in keeping the lathe clean and dry.

Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />Jim - Thanks for the finishing info, it is helpful. I just watched both of the Alan Lacer vidoes and am motivated to learn to use the skew. I just need some time [:(!]

I have to say that the first Alan Lacer dvd was the best one for me.

I met Alan at the AAW symposium this year, we had a nice talk about skews and it was a real pleasure to meet some one who helped me discover the process of using a tool that gives me great satisfaction...and he's a very nice man too!
[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom