TRU Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

7miles

I'm going to be turning my first tru stone today is there anything I should know about it...I got it from CSUSA, I also want to know I need to turn them that same way. I have two diff. ones. 239-0110 Royal Flame and 239-0101 Turquoise. And to finish it, is it best to MM to 12000 and polish or buff?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keep heat down. Possibly use water to cool while drilling.

I've had very MIXED results - blew up 2 that NEVER should have broken. LOTS of room on all sides, drill bit less than half way through, the blank just separated.

NOT my favorite material.

Good luck - I HAVE made a few that worked. Seems every blank has it's own characteristics - not a feature I would recommend.

THIS IS NOT TO Condemn the lot of "Tru-Stone". I have recently purchased from our member RandB??Crafts. I look forward to trying his - he has actually TURNED them, so I expect better results.

FWIW

broitblat

I've done a few TruStone pens and haven't lost one yet :). For the most part, I don't think they take any special technique, but I suggest you knock off the corners with a sander before turning, keep your tools sharp, and a light touch. I've generally finished the way you've suggested -- MM to 12000 then polish and wax. I think some folks prefer to wet-sand, but I haven't done it that way. You do want to be careful about heat build-up, so use a light touch on sanding, too. I've also tried plastic polish which seems to work OK.

They're a little more work, but the results are worth it.

Good luck!

-Barry

Milpaul

I think you will really enjoy turning the tru-stone. I was hesitant at first myself, but have never had a problem, just take it slow. As Ed said each type is a little different but you will love the turquoise. It looks great and compliments any kit. I also use MM. It us up to you if you think a polish is necessary but the MM usually gives a good finish on its own.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by ed4copies

Keep heat down. Possibly use water to cool while drilling.

I've had very MIXED results - blew up 2 that NEVER should have broken. LOTS of room on all sides, drill bit less than half way through, the blank just separated.

NOT my favorite material.

Good luck - I HAVE made a few that worked. Seems every blank has it's own characteristics - not a feature I would recommend.

THIS IS NOT TO Condemn the lot of "Tru-Stone". I have recently purchased from our member RandB??Crafts. I look forward to trying his - he has actually TURNED them, so I expect better results.

FWIW

Don't feel bad Ed. Once you get a little acrylic experience under you belt you will be able to have some success with Tru-Stone.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yeah, Cav.

I figure another 4 or 5 pens and I'll have 'er licked!!!

The last 2000 really didn't mean much!

randbcrafts

Use a sharp drill bit, standard split point works best for me rather than the brad point, but either will work. I always turn mine with a gouge and then finish with a skew. Sand through all the grits and wet sand with MM. Polish with plastic polish. Piece of cake!:)

Chasper

I damaged one in the final friction polishing stage; too much pressure and it heated up and bubbled out. Use a light touch in the polishing if you make it that far.

Top Bottom