Troubles with zebrawood (zebrano), diagonal cut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

Second time I try to turn zebrawood diagonal cut, and find troubles with it.

Blank tears almost with first cut.
I use sandpaper on pen tube and glue it in blank with polyurethane glue. But it gives no result. Maybe there is some secret?

Attachments

• IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

What tool are you using to turn it down? From the pictures, your cuts look like you might be using a scraper and may be a little aggressive. Perhaps using a super sharp skew or spindle gouge with lighter cuts might work better. Make sure that you are rubbing the bevel throughout the entire cut.

kovalcik

Because of the way the blank was cut, you are cutting long grain and end grain as the blank turns and you are getting tear out at the transition. This is because the long grain cuts much easier than the end grain (my apologies if you already figured that part out). Make sure your tools are very sharp and take light cuts. Resharpen often as the end grain will dull your tools faster. It will also help a lot to take the corners off the blank with your saw or sander before you start turning.

You can also coat the blank with thin CA, especially at the ends where the wood is not supported. Put on thin CA, take a couple cuts, add more CA, a couple cuts, etc. until done. Take your time and use a light touch and it will look great.

Justturnin

Sharp tools, Practice practice practice and slow down. Light cuts on cross grain. You should expect a x-cut blank to take 2-3 times longer to turn. That is my experience.

Alejanders

I have used sharp Spindle Gouge.
Thanks, i will try to coat blank with CA and shar

By the way, it was a grat surprise. I have not faced with such tearout even with mammoth ivory.

pensbydesign

can't stress enough light slow cuts, razor sharp skew. use thin ca glue often. soak thin ca on the ends of the blanks before mounting to bushings this helps with the tear out at the ends.

Bree

can't stress enough light slow cuts, razor sharp skew. use thin ca glue often. soak thin ca on the ends of the blanks before mounting to bushings this helps with the tear out at the ends.

Good advice. It looks to me like your tool is not sharp. You are chipped out all over the place. Sharpen and hone... you should be ok after that. I always cut bias cut zebrawood with a sharp skew and never have this kind of trouble... knock on wood!
:wink::wink::wink:

Alejanders

What do you think, if I coat hole in blank with thin CA and glue blank with polyurethane glue, do that make wood stronger?

Top Bottom