Trouble with tight mandrel / tube fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

2good2burn

Looking for some help! I've been pluggin along turning pens and in the last 6 - 7 pens I've tried making, for some reason, the tube fits on the mandrel BEFORE being glued, but after its glued in and I tru up the ends, it no longer fits on the mandrel. It is a VERY tight squeeze. I haven't changed anything, I've tried different glue thicknesses along with different wood and acrylics. Does anyone know what I might be missing? IF I get the glued up blank on my mandrel, once its turned and finished I have to pry it off - which ruins the piece.

Unfortunately, I wanted to pick a hobby my husband knew nothing about (he's a builder/woodworker too), so I can't ask him to troubleshoot for me, since I don't let him near my tools! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Sounds like your getting glue inside the tubes. It only takes a little bit to affect the fit on the mandrel. Not to mention it will affect the fit of your kit parts later.
Check for glue inside the tubes next time. Do you use a barrel trimmer that also cleans out the tubes?

les-smith

Sometimes I think when I true up the blank it deforms or causes a burr inside the tube a little at the ends and makes it fit tight. I started to file the inside of the tubes near the ends after they are trued. It also removes any glue or wax that might get in or be left over in the tube. I use wax to help keep the glue from getting in the tubes. Filing seems to have helped quite a bit.

2good2burn

Steve - Yup, I have always used a barrel trimmer, but for some reason, in the last few pens they won't go on the mandrel. Is it possible that the barrel trimmer would need to be replaced? I haven't made more than 25 pens so that shouldn't be the issue. Does the part of the barrel trimmer that goes thru the tube need to be sharpened or anything ( I'm sure that's a dumb question). My local woodcraft couldn't figure out my problem.....

johnnycnc

2good2burn

Thanks John. I'll have to try that. In the meantime, I've got to figure out a way to keep the inside cleaner. You're all right, I figured I had narrowed it down to the glue/blank but I hadn't done anything different than normal.

Thanks all! (you just proved my theory that I don't need my husband to solve all my problems. [:)]

stevers

I've had my barrel trimmer for over a hundred pens. I haven't even needed to sharpen the trimmer head, let alone the part that cleans the tube. I guess the pilot shaft is what it's called.

Narwhale

A brass brush used to clean guns works real good to clean the insides of glued tubes. I usually chuck the brush in a cordless drill and then it is real easy to use also. Get the brush diameter to match your favorite pen size.
Rich S.

Rmartin

Ditto to what others have said. The tube needs to be clean and pristine. The best way to clean the glue out of the tube is not to get it in there in the first place. Potato, plumber's putty, or play dough all work well. Use a gun cleaner wire brush attatched to a drill to clean out the tube. WalMart has them in different sizes for a couple of dollars. The barrel trimmer does need to be sharpened. I use a small pen knife sharpener. WalMart also has those in the sporting goods section. You will notice a big difference if you have a sharp trimmer.

Good luck,
Rmartin

Brewmeister35

If you hit the brass tube with the barrel trimmer, it can leave a little burr on the inside of the tube which can be shaved off with a deburring knife or a round file.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you are a cautious person, carefully wax the insides of the tubes using Q-tips. That should help considerably, but you don't want to get wax on the ends of the blanks as it will sometimes keep the CA from making a good adherence near the ends.

Hosspen

2good, just another hint from experience, if you get a little glue inside the tube a small round file will work fine to clean that and any small burrs at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom