Trouble with a Rockler kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrBills

Has anybody else had troubles with the Cigar Pen Kit #23707?
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19563

I have tried to make this pen twice now and have had the middle two ends seeming to be switched, as if the bushings were reversed.

I am pretty good at following instructions, so I am reasonably sure I am setting the mandrel up as written. Thoughts or similar problems?

Thanks,
Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Cause

The only thing I can think of that would cause that IS getting the middle bushings reversed - most likely by getting the upper and lower blanks recversed.

hilltopper46

I think everyone who makes any number of cigars sooner or later gets the bushings switched for the barrels.

If it is a really pretty piece of wood or acrylic, all is not lost. You can modify the pen by gluing a piece on the top (shorter) barrel to make up for the clunky standard centerband and turn it down to the lower barrel (smaller) bushing, then turn the lower barrel down to the correct (smaller bushing), then put the pen together without the standard centerband. That's what I did with the acrylic pen shown here.

The other two, I left the centerband out on purpose.

I do turn the flange off the standard centerband and insert it in the upper barrel to help center the transmission - I'm not sure how necessary it is to do that.

Attachments

• Pen593a.JPG
    Pen593a.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 162
  • Pen594.JPG
    Pen594.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Pen600a.JPG
    Pen600a.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 151

DrBills

Thanks for all the feedback gang.

Using JTTHECLOCKMAN's suggestion, I used my digital calipers to ensure size and order. I also videoed what I was doing in case it still came out wrong.

Of course it was just fine. :redface:

Thanks again,
Wild Bill

Top Bottom