Trouble with Reverse Painting Acrylic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

I reverse painted some dark blue rhinoplast acrylic tubes with Testor's model paint and then used CA to glue the tubes in place. Apparently, CA must react with Testor's paints as there was a lot of tube showing.

I checked the library, but did not find anything.

What do you use with model paints to glue the tubes?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One thing you did not mention: How long was it (the paint) allowed to dry.

And, yes CA will smear many paint varieties and Epoxy is easier.

FWIW,
Ed

PSNCO

Testor's model paint rubs me the wrong way. It needs to be completely dry. I started using bottles of cheap paint at Michaels for like 70 cents a bottle. It dries a lot faster and doesn't seem to react with the glue as much.

Karl_99

I have been letting the Testor's painted blanks dry at least 24 hours. Maybe, I need to let dry longer now that it is getting cooler. Might be time to switch to epoxy for blanks.

PSNCO - What is the brand of cheap paint at Michael's?
Thanks

Chasper

It is the paint, not the glue that is the problem. Testers is expensive, slow drying, sometimes poor coverage and some colors react badly with CA. Cheap acrylic craft paint dries quick, is available in more colors, covers better and doesn't react to CA.

bgio13

Never had a problem with Testors. I let it dry overnight then use a toothpick to add a drop of paint to 2-part epoxy just to be safe.

Bill

LouF

Testor's model paint rubs me the wrong way. It needs to be completely dry. I started using bottles of cheap paint at Michaels for like 70 cents a bottle. It dries a lot faster and doesn't seem to react with the glue as much.

I use the same works great.

medlongpens

Are you painting the tube as well? I paint both the tube and the blank and use two part epoxy it works pretty well for me. I also use the cheap acrylic paint you find in the craft section of walmart.

Karl_99

Are you painting the tube as well? I paint both the tube and the blank and use two part epoxy it works pretty well for me. I also use the cheap acrylic paint you find in the craft section of walmart.

I don't currently paint the tubes. I will switch to the acrylic paint instead of Testor's.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cindylee

We use Krylon spray paint as well. We spray them and leave them outside to dry for a few hours and it works like a charm. I have also used left over latex paint that I have had sitting around when I ran out of white Krylon. It worked just fine as well, but took longer to dry.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I use and prefer Delta Ceramcoat acylic paints from the local Hobby Lobby. Are you sure the Testor's paint you use was acrylic? Most of the Testors you find is lacquer or enamel unless you specifically buy the acylic. I have found that both the enamel and lacquer based Testors will dissolve in CA. Never had the problem with their acrylic but prefer the other brand because it is less expensive and has more color and opacity options.

CrimsonKeel

I started with the testors but found it never really dried nice for me.
So now i go to my local dollar store and buy automotive primer/basecoat spray paints. Few quick squirts and its dry within an hour.

JP61

So far I've only used paints that I already have.... spray paint and small can of enamel, using Q-tips to apply (not sure of brands at the moment). Had problems with both, mainly because I didn't allow them to dry long enough. I started using my heat-gun on low, 12" or so from the blank. Haven't had any issues since. Life is too short to wait for paint to dry, which is also the reason why I use M/CA :biggrin:

Karl_99

have not tried Gorilla super glue, but I did go to Michael's and get a variety of acrylic paints.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. This has been very helpful.

Top Bottom