Trouble in Paradise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJohn

Well, here's the story. I was in the garage (a.k.a. shop) turning my first Barron. I was using a great hunk, ok, blank, of desert iron wood that came with my last order from B.B. The grain was outstanding and I was really looking forward to seeing what it would look like after the finishing. Well, it looks like that ain't going to happen. Just about where you would finish turn9ing and start sanding, the short (upper) part decided to not hold on to the wood and a chunk broke out - shattered would be a better discription. I turned off the lights, left the project on the lathe, and came in here to ask "What do I do now?" I only had the one blank of desert iron wood. Should I order another blank and remake the top part? Should I continue to turn the top part and get the rest of the wood off? Should I use another type of wood for the top - or will it look dumb to have two different types of wood? Should I flush myself down the toilet? Help! TIA Texas John in El Paso:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lkorn

John,
First, try to find the piece that flew off. CA glue works wonders at repairing damages.
Second, Start over, mixed woods rarely look good unless there was a plan (like damage control[:)]).
Third, make a new top section of acrylic or corian, It will look like you planned it[}:)]

hey john, that funny, i had the exact same problem, same wood, yesterday, but i lost the piece (small) in the shavings. so to save it, i glued some shavings in the spot and came back to it this morning. not the best i've made but to the buyer, who'll know.

how do you like the wood, otherwise. got a bit of a smell to it. [xx(]i was given a piece that must of weight 40 lbs. still have a lot left. if you need more email me.

good luck, laurie

JimGo

John,
Larry gave you the perfect advice. I had the same thing happen last week with a bog Oak blank, and a few weeks ago with a black palm. If you check my album, you'll see them both. You can do a great patch job with the chunk that flew off and some sanding dust/shavings. I keep LOTS of CA handy for just such an emergency!

Good luck, and let's see the results!

wpenm

As the others have said, try gluing the piece back in place, sand and finish. Then when you assemble the pen, try to use the clip to further hide the repair.

TexasJohn

Thanks for all the responses - as usual, you people are a great bunch with all the help you come through with. Alas, when this blank came apart, almost 1/2 on one side of the blank went and there were also a number of unrecoverable small parts. I guess my best bet is to get some more blanks and start over. How should I take the remaining portion off of the tube? If I soak it in MEK will that do it? TIA again. Texas John[:(]

TomServo

You could turn it off - usually it'll pop off if you just stick your tool up there.. otherwise, just cut it off, then sand the barrel smooth or use acetone to remove the glue residue (I'm assuming CA was used to glue up the barrel?)

Just a thought, MEK is dangerous stuff.. please be careful with it :) Makes your heart rate go up..

Mikey

I use the parting tool and just go to the barrel. Some sandpaper will rough up the surface and will prepare the tube for the next blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom