In trouble with my band saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rogerwaskow

Hi guys

I have an Elephant 14 inch band saw which I have just serviced having bought it second hand, so new bearings etc. I have put on the tyres, a new blade and adjusted what I could and tightened up what I could. As I don't know anything about bandsaws I flew blind. I started the machine and the blade and the tyres (rubber band) came off. I spun the wheels a few times and the blade ran true. Now I have read somewhere that one should glue the tyres on. If so, what glue, (Araldite 2 component glue) and if not, what then.:confused:

Your input is greatly appreciated which means PLEASE HELP.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi guys

I have an Elephant 14 inch band saw which I have just serviced having bought it second hand, so new bearings etc. I have put on the tyres, a new blade and adjusted what I could and tightened up what I could. As I don't know anything about bandsaws I flew blind. I started the machine and the blade and the tyres (rubber band) came off. I spun the wheels a few times and the blade ran true. Now I have read somewhere that one should glue the tyres on. If so, what glue, (Araldite 2 component glue) and if not, what then.:confused:

Your input is greatly appreciated which means PLEASE HELP.

Kind regards

Any contact/cement glue will do the job...!

George

jttheclockman

I see you posted this question here probably because you did not get any answers in the original posting. To answer your question. If I were to change tires I would go with the new urethane tires. They have some advantages and also do not require glue. A little harder to put on because they have to stretch more.

But if using rubber tires, any good contact cement will work. People have used silicone also. I would use Rubber Tire Adhesive by Carter Products

Being you have your tires off, I hope you went through the trouble of checking the wheels and bearings and doing abit of tuneup. Doesn't take that much more time and will help in the long run. Good luck.

rogerwaskow

To all my kind helpers

Many thanks for your kind advice. I have decided to go with new tyres and the urethane ones as I don't have to use glue. Yes, I have given the machine a good once over and even replaced a few bearings. She runs smoothly now and once I can get the tyres and blade to stay on I will have a very good band saw.

Once again many thanks guys.:biggrin::highfive:

rogerwaskow

Looks the same

Hi Wildman

These instructions look so much the same it could be the same machine. The only difference I can see are the knobs for the top and bottom covers are mine have 2 each and the motor runs to a bottom pulley which gives it variable speed. Unless someone has just put on a different pulley than the original one. The rest looks the same. I am going to go for the urethane tyres as they seem lot less drama.:)

I have saved the instructions for future use.

Many thanks and it's greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Wildman

Could not find a picture of Elephant bandsaw yesterday saw one thread that said similar to Grizzly's old bandsaw.

Your model sounds like closer to this one. Had a hard time downloading manual had to hit refresh couple times.

14" Four Speed Woodworking Band Saw

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/60000-60999/60564.pdf

Grizzly, Harbor freight and few other companies first to import Delta band saw clones to the U.S. Models with different names and variations exported worldwide.

14" band saws really simple once figure out what they can and cannot do.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom