Trouble with metal to metal threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have made several Classic RB and FP - they seem popular for me - smaller size, plenty of body so you can show off the blank, good components etc. But the problem is the metal to metal threads - I can't keep the cap screwed on. I have had several complaints - love the pen but can't keep the cap on.
Here is a link to the type of pen - pretty much all the suppliers sell these so this isn't a criticism of anybody's product! http://www.exoticblanks.com/images/T/xctmpNzSs9U.png
So my question is - have any of you learned/developed a technique to solve this problem? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

If I remember, these are the ones with the rubber O-rings. They are supposed to keep the cap on by supplying some resistance against the threads when the cap is screwed up tight against them. Are you using the O-rings? My problem was that the rings would eventually fall off and get lost. That is why I stopped making that kit. A real shame because it had a great price point and the quality was decent.

its_virgil

I'm not a fan of that style and I really don't like metal-metal threads so I have stopped using this kit. There is one pen of that style that uses a snap-cap instead of threads. If I remember correctly CSUSA's version has the snap cap.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

keithbyrd

If I remember, these are the ones with the rubber O-rings. They are supposed to keep the cap on by supplying some resistance against the threads when the cap is screwed up tight against them. Are you using the O-rings? My problem was that the rings would eventually fall off and get lost. That is why I stopped making that kit. A real shame because it had a great price point and the quality was decent.

Thanks for the reply!
There were no rings with any of the kits I bought and I bought from several vendors but that doesn't seem like a permanent fix.

keithbyrd

I'm not a fan of that style and I really don't like metal-metal threads so I have stopped using this kit. There is one pen of that style that uses a snap-cap instead of threads. If I remember correctly CSUSA's version has the snap cap.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

thanks Don - I have sold several of the snap caps from CSUSA but they quite making a fountain pen in it and it was a good entry point FP!

kovalcik

Thanks for the reply!
There were no rings with any of the kits I bought and I bought from several vendors but that doesn't seem like a permanent fix.

It has been a while since I made any. Maybe they designed the O-rings out. Or maybe they just stopped putting them in the kits without redesigning which may be the problem. :bulgy-eyes:

Top Bottom