trouble with european bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Dowdy

Can anyone explain just how to use the center bushing with the tennon sleeve. My brain is kinda locked up tonight. can't seem to grasp it. I turnned one with the reagular european bushings and I got it a bit loose. thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

The end of the middle bushing with the small tenon on it faces toward the upper blank of your pen. Mark off about 3/16" from the end of the blank facing the tenon and turn it down to match the size of the tenon. The turn the area of the bland just above that down to match the Bigger midddle part of the bushing. Once you have those two down you can shape the rest of the upper blank to your liking. I usually use a caliper(sp) to get close and then sand to final size. If you end up a little loose then medium CA works wonders. If you end up with the tenon a little long on the upper blank then just sand it down to the length you need. It the tenon is a little short it will still look okay when the pen if put together. Hope all this helped some.

stevers

David mentioned one of the most important things. I use calipers on most all of my turning. Remember that on Euro's, each manufactures kit has slightly diff size CB's. Both diameter and length. Calipers are just a good habit to get into.

Joe Dowdy

yeah I noticed a little variation from order to order, I place most of my bulk orders from WoodNWhimseies andhave had great luck with them. My first euro I got alittle loose and the second was worlds better with the slidding bushing set and I am working on getting my diameter right with the upper meeting up with the ring. thanks for the advice and yes calipers are on the shopping list for tomarrow

MarkHix

I don't have calipers (yet) so when I do Euros, after I turn the tenon, I turn the stepped bushing around to hold the center band bushing in place. I only do one barrel at a time so this does not cause me a problem.

Joe Dowdy

thanks for all the great info. I just walked away for a few min came back and it all made sense. Sometimes you just need to take a breake

Rifleman1776

David mentioned one of the most important things. I use calipers on most all of my turning. Remember that on Euro's, each manufactures kit has slightly diff size CB's. Both diameter and length. Calipers are just a good habit to get into.

What David said it good advice. Also, not only different manufacturers can vary but same one can vary from batch to batch. I do a lot of Euros and buy from only one source and notice variations. Frustrating but part of the 'fun' of this avocation. Don't sweat a little loose. That's what CA was invented for.

MobilMan

A suggestion. Make the tenon so the sliding bushing is tight & the sholder is at a 90deg. I normally tape the sliding piece back out of the way til the tenon is cut, then right at the end at the corner cut a small recess, That way if you get too much glue on the tenon, it has somewhere to go instead of squeezing out & getting in the kit piece.

Top Bottom