Trouble with barrel/tip tansition...sugestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

happycat

I have been having a rough time getting a perfect transition between the barrell and the tip on my comfort kits and gatsby kits from PSI. I take them right down to the bushing, then sand 220,340,400,600,800,1000,1500,2000 I get a really smooth finish, but always seem to get this just perceptable lip between the barrell and the tip (barrell sticking out just a hair).
I'd really like to get this transition area perfect. Anybody have any advice, tips, tricks....Or am I just a victim of "That dammed learning curve"??
Thanks for any advice,
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

To make an exact match, when you get close to the finished size, measure the kit part with calipers and then measure the pen barrel at the matching point. Bushings are not always an exact match for the kit part - there is some variability.

The variability increases with the repeated use of the bushings - they get turned or sanded down. Count on replacing bushings when they get too small.

Chris

Firefyter-emt

Rule #1:
Buy a nice set of digital calipers and before starting a pen, measure the hardware. Then log this on a post-it note and turn your pen to that, not the bushings. In fact, go slightly below this (after sanding) to allow film build up of your finish.

Rule #2:
Buy a $5.00 dead center and stop using the pen mandrel.

Rule #3:
Never pee into the wind.

rlharding

I understood you to be saying that the gap is once the pen is assembled. After you have completed all your finishing and taken the barrel of the lathe you have a hair of brass showing. It's strange isn't it? I have that too and all I do is put it to the sanding belt. I have figured out it is to do with the pen mill. When I have used the pen mill I can see the brass protruding a hairs height. The cutters on the pen mill go all the way to the central bar so it's not that the brass is sliding up a gap in the cutters.

DocStram

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

Rule #1:
Buy a nice set of digital calipers and before starting a pen, measure the hardware. Then log this on a post-it note and turn your pen to that, not the bushings. In fact, go slightly below this (after sanding) to allow film build up of your finish.

Rule #2:
Buy a $5.00 dead center and stop using the pen mandrel.

Rule #3:
Never pee into the wind.

What Lee said . . . except, Never SPIT into the wind.;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't be afraid of that learning curve. It is not to be d . . . . d at all. You are not his victim; but rather he wants to be your friend, and his name is "Experience." As a friend, he will pull you out of tough spots when no one else can and will make you proud! :D Work with him and get to know him well.

Not all good things come only as "gifts". ;)

Top Bottom