Triton trouble... spring not strong enough.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

killer-beez

Has anyone had any problem with the Triton rollerball from Woodcraft (may not be exclusive to Woodcraft, just where I purchased it from)? I assembled the pen with the spring provided. Now every time you write with it (with minimal pressure) the rollerball semi retracts because the spring isn't strong enough to keep it in position. Did I do something wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Actually, I just put my first Triton together and the spring wasn't anywhere near long enough.

I just pulled on it to stretch it out a bit and it seems to work fine now. Worth a try!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I tend to give nearly all springs a little "tug" during assembly. I have yet to find where that does any harm and think it helps some kits quite a bit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The triton IS shorter than the Jr. Gent. So, if you happen to use jr. Gent tubes, everything works fine, except the spring is not long enough.

As was said, never hurts to stretch a spring in ANY kit I have encountered.

PenMan1

I've never made a Triton that I didn't stretch the spring to double its original size. It works as it comes, but is way too mushy for my liking.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I got a couple emails, so here's another thought:
Put a piece of quarter-inch wood dowel into the finial, before inserting the spring. It should JUST fit. The finial is 3/4" long, so use about 1/2" length--test, if it is then too rigid, shorten the dowel. (pierce it with a small screw to get it out).

I am looking into purchasing longer, stronger springs--but that will take a couple weeks--the dowel is an "instant fix".

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I can't tell you how they would work, unfortunately. I decided early on that I liked the pen a little longer, so I have never used the tubes that come with it.

The "short spring" issue has been around on many roller ball "kits". Years ago, the manufacturers said it was "personal preference" and the spring could easily be stretched.

Just not an answer I particularly like, so I have purchased replacement springs in the past and will do so again.

When we have them, we will offer them as an option when buying from us. We like to offer you as many options as possible, so you can customize the pen to YOUR customers" likes.

If you use these "opportunities" correctly, you can distinguish yourself from the other pen-turners at a show by asking the prospect, "Do you like the feel of that, or would you prefer a "softer" writing feel? You don't need to use it to go through carbon copies or "carbonless" forms, do you?"

Makes you sound smart!!!

OKLAHOMAN

I swear he must listen over my shoulder:tongue:, now will you please stop giving my sales tips away:mad::biggrin::biggrin:.
I .

If you use these "opportunities" correctly, you can distinguish yourself from the other pen-turners at a show by asking the prospect, "Do you like the feel of that, or would you prefer a "softer" writing feel? You don't need to use it to go through carbon copies or "carbonless" forms, do you?"

Makes you sound smart!!!

killer-beez

Ed, when will you offer the springs (or where can I buy them in the meantime)? In my opinion this pen kit is an inferior product with the spring supplied. Stretching is a Band-Aid fix. Since the manufacture won't listen, I will have to do the fix myself.

bitshird

Ed, when will you offer the springs (or where can I buy them in the meantime)? In my opinion this pen kit is an inferior product with the spring supplied. Stretching is a Band-Aid fix. Since the manufacture won't listen, I will have to do the fix myself.

I guess then by your comment, that puts about 85%to 90% of all of the roller ball component sets as being inferior products.
I've had to stretch springs on Jr statesmen. Jr Gentle men, El Grande and Churchills, Full size gents , but I've never knowingly done any of the sets from PSI. but if you theorize that the rest of the sets are inferior, I guess that leaves us with the Marksman kits. Cool at least they are American made sets!!

OKLAHOMAN

Although I'm not a fan at all of the Triton (for totally other reasons) the spring is a non issue as all rollerbal component sets from both Berea and CSUSA at times need the spring stretched, no biggie, I don't do PSI sets other than the Majestic Jr. at times and I also stretch those.

arioux

So if everyone have a spring issue, with the reseller being here and knowing it, why the manufacturer don't just fix it ?????????

Are we just getting too nice with the manufacturer ? Why can't they fixs a .05 spring issue by putting an adequate one in the bag ? Why de WE the custommer have to go thru fixes and stretching?

Sorry, needed to vent.

killer-beez

I'm with Alfred. If this problem is so wide spread why do we put up with it? I may not have been creating pens as long as many of you but I have never had to stretch a spring (other than the Triton) and I make a pretty high quality pen (if I do say so myself ;)). No worries here... I ordered about 20 springs from a retailer. It will add a buck to my sale price but it's worth it to not have lost a customer due to a 'squishy' writing instrument.

Top Bottom