Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

I'm in the middle of a plating test and so far the clip on a triton that I'm using is showing scratches, I carry my pen in a leather pouch and the flap has scratched the clip. The same pouch on my everyday pen for over 2 years a Jr. Statesman shows no wear at all or scratches.

Last edited:

Lenny

I dont understand why they cannot put on more then one onemillionth of a micro inch of plating on these things. I would pay extra for more then a micro coating.

Then you can buy the Jr. Statesman for about double the price! :)

I think when you compare components you have to weigh the cost difference as well. I think, so far, the Triton stands up pretty well against others in it's price range.

I would love to hear what others prefer in the same price range.

OKLAHOMAN

Lenny, In it's price range it might be OK, my only problem is when I sell it I'm down grading my line with a pen that I have plating ware. I'd much rather pay twice as much and give my customers a better quality product. That's my 2 pennies worth.

Mark

I like the Triton. I have not "tested" the finish, but I do have one laying on my desk at work. The only wear I've seen is the ca finish on the Turkish Walnut looks slightly cloudy in spots. That is from sliding around the desk on a daily basis and being handled by customers day in and day out. I get a lot of compliments and a few requests, but back to the point, it seems to be holding up quite well. IMHO.

PenMan1

I've got over 200 Tritons in the market. Not a single known issue with customers.
I have a gold one I use as a SHOP pen for nearly two years. No issues at all.

I sent a chrome one to a friend who is having plating issues. He keeps it in a pouch. I am now trying to figure if the formaldehyde used in making the pouch is an issue, if it is an isolated incident or if I can expect to get 200 pens back for warranty replacement.

I have had much better luck with the Tritons than the TN gold Jr Gents. I hope is stays that way!

PenMan1

One "build" recommendation on the triton. The clip and cap fit as loosely as the old Jr. Gent I. It really needs a small drop of Loctite threadlock at that joint.

The threads at the centerband fit nicely and I have NOT had a single customer push the threads up the cap barrel- a CONSTANT fix on the Jr Gents.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Andy so far the only issue is the plating on the clip and it's only on the one pen, I have two more that I will be giving to friends to use and test for me. This could be just an isolated issue.
My biggest consern is it looks so much like the Jr. Statesman it could dig into the sale of the higher priced Jr. Statesman. I have a natrual step up on pricing from the Jr. Gent then the Retro then the Jr. Statesman. If I fit into the slot of the Jr. Gent it could and would cause a conflict with the Jr. Statesman.

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Andy so far the only issue is the plating on the clip and it's only on the one pen, I have two more that I will be giving to friends to use and test for me. This could be just an isolated issue.
My biggest consern is it looks so much like the Jr. Statesman it could dig into the sale

Oh, I agree with this one! I like the tritons alot. I'm not yet at the point of selling anywhere near like you Roy - but If I were... I could see the problem with mixing tritons and Jr statesmen.

For me, I like the decoration of the triton w/o the higher cost of the jr statesman. (Less invested in it for me).. But if you mix the two, it may be harder to sell the statesman because of the similaries.

Because of your other posts about ($500-$1000) sales, If the jr statesman has ANY benefit for you, I'd stick with it... OR have some other way to distinguish them (like your best materials go on the statesman).

With me.. My top sale has been in the $200 range.... At that price the difference in cost to the triton has made it worth it to me to use over the jr statesman.

PenMan1

My biggest consern is it looks so much like the Jr. Statesman it could dig into the sale of the higher priced Jr. Statesman. I have a natrual step up on pricing from the Jr. Gent then the Retro then the Jr. Statesman. If I fit into the slot of the Jr. Gent it could and would cause a conflict with the Jr. Statesman.

My concern is why you wouldn't price these at the same level as the Jr Staties for smaller hands (and pocket the additional $15 in material savings:))

And Roy, I am VERY interested in your research. I have over 200 of these in the marketplace. My sphincter level just hit DEFCON 1 with the plating issue post.

OKLAHOMAN

My biggest concern is it looks so much like the Jr. Statesman it could dig into the sale of the higher priced Jr. Statesman. I have a natural step up on pricing from the Jr. Gent then the Retro then the Jr. Statesman. If I fit into the slot of the Jr. Gent it could and would cause a conflict with the Jr. Statesman.

My concern is why you wouldn't price these at the same level as the Jr Staties for smaller hands (and pocket the additional $15 in material savings:))

And Roy, I am VERY interested in your research. I have over 200 of these in the marketplace. My sphincter level just hit DEFCON 1 with the plating issue post.

Here's my thoughts on that, I talk up the Rhodium plating on the Jr. series. Now along comes a Jr. Statesman look alike which is only slightly smaller and has instead of Rhodium I'm now giving them Chrome.
after telling them that my platings are Rhodium the brightest and hardest of the platinums and cost over $1,500 a troy ounce. Andy maybe I'm wrong but I can't justify charging them the same, call me hard headed:frown: but there is a big difference between rhodium and chrome.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In Price yes

My biggest concern is it looks so much like the Jr. Statesman it could dig into the sale of the higher priced Jr. Statesman. I have a natural step up on pricing from the Jr. Gent then the Retro then the Jr. Statesman. If I fit into the slot of the Jr. Gent it could and would cause a conflict with the Jr. Statesman.

Here's my thoughts on that, I talk up the Rhodium plating on the Jr. series. Now along comes a Jr. Statesman look alike which is only slightly smaller and has instead of Rhodium I'm now giving them Chrome.
after telling them that my platings are Rhodium the brightest and hardest of the platinums and cost over $1,500 a troy ounce. Andy maybe I'm wrong but I can't justify charging them the same, call me hard headed:frown: but there is a big difference between rhodium and chrome.
In price there is a big difference, in wearability the issue is not as clear - the folks selling Rhodium plated kits say it wears better but I can't find any place else telling me that so I wonder. I'm not an expert on plating but there's quite a bit written about it. It seems to me that plated to the same thickness Chrome and Rhodium are close to equal. I have not convinced myself yet that Rhodium is an upgrade to wearability. It is a tad prettier in my opinion.

One maker says they use real platinum and tout that as a more durable finish than Rhodium - not so either the right platinum alloy can be made as good as Rhodium but it ain't better as close as I can see.

PenMan1

You make a very valid point, Roy. It is indeed, ALL in the sales presentation,too

I see now how it could hurt your Statie sales.

I pit the Tritons against the Jr Gents and stress the "hardness" of the chrome plating. Additionally, the Triton is extremely easy to make custom centerbands and cap covers, so I dress these up a bit, too.

I haven't noticed competiton with the Staties, but thanks to your generosity, I start my upper mid line pens on imperials, lotus, Jr emperor.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How?

You make a very valid point, Roy. It is indeed, ALL in the sales presentation,too

I see now how it could hurt your Statie sales.

I pit the Tritons against the Jr Gents and stress the "hardness" of the chrome plating. Additionally, the Triton is extremely easy to make custom centerbands and cap covers, so I dress these up a bit, too.

I haven't noticed competiton with the Staties, but thanks to your generosity, I start my upper mid line pens on imperials, lotus, Jr emperor.

Aren't the Jr. Gents available in the same finishes (Chrome and Gold)? I know they don't have the alternate accents so I would think the Tritons are a little prettier.

OKLAHOMAN

Smitty you just might be right that Chrome and Rhodium are close, but remember close only counts in hand granides and horse shoes. But in sales presentations they are worlds apart. When touting platings to a customer they are moved to part with their money very much easier if I tout a plating that's in the platium family that cost upwards of $1500 a troy ounce rather then chrome. I have thoughts of chrome pealing off of bumpers (yes youngans bumpers were once made of metal and chrome plated).
As to Jr. Gents in chrome and gold plating I would also never carry them.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Beating

Smitty you just might be right that Chrome and Rhodium are close, but remember close only counts in hand granides and horse shoes. But in sales presentations they are worlds apart. When touting platings to a customer they are moved to part with their money very much easier if I tout a plating that's in the platium family that cost upwards of $1500 a troy ounce rather then chrome. I have thoughts of chrome pealing off of bumpers (yes youngans bumpers were once made of metal and chrome plated).
As to Jr. Gents in chrome and gold plating I would also never carry them.
I'd say that the average car bumper in the days you and I both remember were subjected to a tad more punishment than the typical fountain pen. Only the Bic Banana was tied to an ice skate before writing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, there is no chrome Jr. Gent. Rhodium, but not chrome.
There are 2 Jr Gents Ed. Chrome is available on the Jr. Gent 1.

This is one of the areas of semantics that really gets under my skin! The Jr. Gent has been a CSUSA product for a decade. NOW there is a Chinese version that CSUSA calls the Apprentice, but still uses the Jr. Gent designation--thus lowering the perception of the name they spent years building---dumb!! AND allowing Rizheng to sell it with the same name is REALLY dumb!

So, yes you are correct--there is a Chinese version made of chrome, that is allowed to call itself the Jr. Gent I ----Hope our CSUSA rep is reading this---your marketing and legal teams SHOULD be furious.

PenMan1

Roy, I still offer a few Rhodium JR Gents. Not many, but a few. They are a tiny bit longer than the Tritons, but not as elegent as the Jr Retro Rhodiums, and I have never had the threading issues with the Rhodium gent or the Retro that I had with the TN Jr gents.

The Triton was my best solution for replacing TN jrs which caused me all sorts of Hell. My plan is to never buy another TN Jr Gent (cap threading issues) or 10K Jr Gent (black threads).

Being an old boat and Harley guy, I find chrome REAL sexy:)

Lenny

My only point, perhaps poorly explained, is that not all of us, (given the NEED to constantly be turning new pens to feed our addiction), :biggrin: ...can always afford to work with the best of components.

While I am sure that many here like Roy, Andy and many others have to be very careful what they add to their line (for many reasons beyond plating issues alone), others have to work within our own imposed budget restraints. :frown:

Certainly, like everything else, ... you get what you pay for! For me, who like many others have had issues with the Jr. Gent II, the Triton has been a nice choice at that price point. If someday I can make a pen even half as good as Roy does, maybe I'll have a need to buy better components. I can DREAM! :wink:

Just my $.015 .... (trying to save up for a Jr. Statesman) :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

No, there is no chrome Jr. Gent. Rhodium, but not chrome.
There are 2 Jr Gents Ed. Chrome is available on the Jr. Gent 1.

This is one of the areas of semantics that really gets under my skin! The Jr. Gent has been a CSUSA product for a decade. NOW there is a Chinese version that CSUSA calls the Apprentice, but still uses the Jr. Gent designation--thus lowering the perception of the name they spent years building---dumb!! AND allowing Rizheng to sell it with the same name is REALLY dumb!

So, yes you are correct--there is a Chinese version made of chrome, that is allowed to call itself the Jr. Gent I ----Hope our CSUSA rep is reading this---your marketing and legal teams SHOULD be furious.
CSUSA sold a kit they called Jr Gentlemens.

They did some design changes and renamed it Jr Gentlemens 2 which they still sell.

They reintroduced the original in a Chinese made low priced version they call Apprentice Jr. Gentlemen's. "Apprentice" is CSUSA's key that this is a low cost version of that style

Rizheng offer's essentially the same kit as the Apprentice Jr. Gentlemen's called Jr. Gentleman 1. The name might be close but it is not the same.

I have them label mine Jr. Gentleman 1 but list them as Jr. Gent 1. If CSUSA had any right to that name I'd change it.

That customers started referring to the CSUSA kits as Jr Gent rather than Jr. Gentlemens (or Jr Gentlemen's) is just incidental.

Someone was the 1st to use "slimline" and "cigar" and "comfort" and " "euro" all of which are now accepted as describing a style - Berea Hardwoods is fighting what I think is a losing battle trying to rescue Sierra from the same fate. If the sellers don't want someone else to use the name they can register it as a Trade Mark.

ctubbs

I have a Triton FP daily carry that has been in my pocket since mid December, 10. My bride carries hers in her purse same time as mine. I work construction so you should know it is not babied but goes where I do. I refuse to use a ballpoint if at all possible and many other people have used my Triton to write something. Most have never had an FP in their hand before. Mine is one of the Chrome Tritons and I jsut pulled it out of my pocket to give it a good look. After wiping the hand oils off the clip, I can find no decernable scratches. I have gone through five carts since I started carrying this pen. The threads for the cap and post work as good now as ever. Now I will have to admit, I did not put any locktite on the clip and it does need that. The clip does not spin but it is just a bit loose when I set the cap. I am a huge fan of the Triton and will be ordering more of them from Ed. the only problem I have had was not reading the instructions before assembly. I put the little rings on backwards. It looks real strange like that. I think that Ed has made the instructions somewhat clearer on that matter.
Charles

Top Bottom