Trimmer screw.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligget

Hi, can anyone suggest what to do when you have a barrel trimmer head with no "hex" headed screw to tighten onto the trimmer shaft?

When I grip it into the hand drill, on contact with any resistance the head stops turning but the shaft keeps going.

What can I use to tighten the head to the shaft?

Thanks in advance!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Can you remove the old screw?
If not then the only thing is to drillit out . retap and use a bigger screw.
If you don't have the necessary tools on hand to do this, it might be more feasable to get another trimmer.The cost of the drill you will need and the tap would probably be almost as much as a new mill.
I use my mill in the Dp at the same speed I drill the blanks at what ever that is.
I just re-read your post.Is your mill one piece with no set screw?

GregD

If the screw is missing just go to your local hardwear store and get a replacement. If it's broke off or the hex is stripped out see if you can just turn the screw all the way through the trimmer head, then replace it. If you can't get the screw out then you'll have to drill it out and tap the hole.

Ligget

There is no screw at all, I purchased it from either CSUSA or AZ (will have to check invoices when I have time), I did not want to go to the bother of annoying either business to post me out a tiny screw all the way from USA.

I thought you guys may have found an alternative solution in the past.

I will probably just buy a new head, it seems a waste though![:(]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by ligget
<br />There is no screw at all, I purchased it from either CSUSA or AZ (will have to check invoices when I have time), I did not want to go to the bother of annoying either business to post me out a tiny screw all the way from USA.

I thought you guys may have found an alternative solution in the past.

I will probably just buy a new head, it seems a waste though![:(]

Mark,

I just bought one from CSUSA, and they left out the set screw. I bought a size 10 - 32 x 1/4 set screw and it worked. I had to buy a set of 2; so if non-metric sizes are hard to find for you, send me an address and I'll send you the extra one.

Of course, now the drink we discussed might have to be a double. [8D]

nilsatcraft

Mark,
Whether you bought it from us or elsewhere, we'll gladly send the screw that you need out. We recently discovered that some of the trimmer heads were missing screws so we took care of that. If you haven't already contacted William, we'll gladly send out the screw or a replacement trimmer if need be. Please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks!

Ligget

William, "Thank You" for your very kind offer!!

I will give Nils an Email and try that solution, and to Nils "Thank You too" will contact you off site.[:D]

Thanks too all for your many suggestions!![:p]

Thumbs

Hey, Mark! If you want a quick permanent solution run on down to the nearest autobody repair shop! Have the man apply a little MIG welding applique on it. It should never slide around on you again! LOL![:p]

Of course, you'll have to dedicate that to just one pen style unless you like putting those little sleeves over the steel rod![}:)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom