Trees to Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I am having some Western Red Cedar trees cut down. Would like to harvest some blanks from the trees. Do I cut them into blanks and then seal them or just cut into 6 inch rounds and let them dry.

Dario

different people diffrent approach.

Most will advise you to atleast half the logs and if you can ...actually remove the pith. I will cut them longer if I were you (maybe 12" long). If you just plan on making pen blanks out of them, by all means mill them now...just make them a bit bigger to allow for shrinkage, twisting, etc.

its_virgil

I would suggest sealing the logs on the ends with something like anchorseal (I hope the spelling is correct). Some woods are quick to check and crack on the ends. I seal green logs and then when I have time I cut blanks and seal the ends of the blanks. If I want to use a blank soon, I dry it in the microwave, otherwise, I let it dry naturally and use the wood at some later time.
Do a good turn daily!

Maybe Dario has the professional answer. He'll see this thread soon and answer. Do what he says.

Don
Originally posted by GregMuller
<br />I am having some Western Red Cedar trees cut down. Would like to harvest some blanks from the trees. Do I cut them into blanks and then seal them or just cut into 6 inch rounds and let them dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom