Transmissions for 8mm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bwftex

Hi All,
I just signed up here. Looks like a great place. I have a set problems maybe someone can help me with. I have been using two types of 8mm pen kits that use the standard type Parker refill. One is the chrome type Sculpted Arbor pen from PSI and the other the Berea New Series Ball Point Pen. I really like the look, feel and writing quality of these pens.
The Sculpted Pen from PSI has poor fitting parts but these are problems I can deal with. But the transmission is a loose fit and requires cutting and tinning the tube at the proper location to keep it secure. I do not want to epoxy the transmission in place as it might be difficult to replace if the transmission fails. No two transmissions are the same, some are stiff, some are sloppy, some grind and some function smooth and firm like they should. I expect some of these transmissions will fail with regular use. What I'm looking for is a replacement transmission for these pens. The threads on the transmission to connect to the coupler are on the outside.
I really want to offer these pens for sale but not until I can find a better transmission solution. All I really want from these pens are the tip, the band and the cap so I'm open to any ideas that would allow for a good replacement like a particular Schmidt or other transmission.
As for the New Series Pen I have no bad problems. Everything looks and works beautifully on these pens including the transmissions. But they are a double twist and I would prefer a single twist. I'd also feel better if could use a Schmidt transmission with these. The threads on the transmission are on the inside. I believe these transmissions maybe the same as on the 8mm Euro's as they use the same "O" drill bit so maybe the tubes are a tad larger than 8mm at least on the OD? I'm not sure. Right now I have none of these pens left to check.
I emailed Richard Greenwald about this and he was not sure what Schmidt transmission would work if any or if I would have to try to re thread the couplers even if I could stuff one in the tube securely. And the throw distance of the transmission might not be right either.
I might just have to figure out a way to rework the insides of these pens. Retaining the couplers on both type pens would be ideal. But before I buy half a dozen transmissions to experiment with and more pens that I may possibly ruin I thought I might see about some guidance here. Thanks, Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you measure the thread Od and if you can measure the thread pitch on the coupler it may be easier to match them. I use the Psi 8mm euros Pkmont2par just for the tranny and the tranny coupler. I have found that the pkpark-gm trannies and couplers are also the same size although I think the pkmont trannies are smoother. that may just be me. I have not found a good supplier of just the trannies and couplers and end up buying kits just for those parts along with the 8mm tubes.

Last edited:

ghostrider

Get out the calipers and start measuring. I did and found that a common Cigar tranny is actually 8mm. Is it possible that the threading will fit?

The Cigar's clip bushing is 8mm.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont believe so, the 8mm tranny threads I have are 6.75mm in diameter. the outer tube is 8mm not the inner diameter. 8mm tubes I have are .306 od .292 id

ghostrider

I just double checked. The PSI 8mm tubes I have will actuate the cigar transmission. Worse to worse, could he turn down a cigar coupler to fit an 8mm tube?

Or is that going a long way to accomplish a short task?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All though there is enough material to turn down and have it fit in the 8mm tube the bottom of the cigar tranny is wider than an 8mm tube will go over. hence the 10mm tube size for cigars.

bwftex

Thanks, Guys. It' looks like there is no simple drop in solution. I guess I just have to experiment a little and see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom