transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kd4dpb

I am having problems with transmissions I think I am pressing them in correctly some of them are easy to turn some have a detent in the out position. Sometime i can push down on the tip and will hear a pop or click and then the detent is there. hope i have stated this correctly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Probably not.....

"Chinese" transmissions?

Almost all Transmissions (including those "made in Taiwan" are made on mainland China as near as I can find out. I sometimes get both with a very positive detent and with no noticeable detent in the same order. I get very few back and also very few notices of problems where the buyer doesn't ask for a replacement and when I do it is usually for one that is "frozen"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sometimes transmission problems are actually "out of spec" brass tubes, Smitty. I have experienced this firsthand when I was making LOTS of slims.

If the tube is too tight, and you press the tranny in anyhow, it can bend--or it can be difficult to turn if you have pushed it in a little too far (which can be required if the tube is a little long---like the Fr Sing size).

Most of the time the problem is easy to diagnose, but can really only be fixed by using a different tranny and the tube that fits it.

Of course this also presupposes you use tubes and trannies from the same source---which was NOT always true when I made slims. So, I felt I was responsible for my own difficulties.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Test

Sometimes transmission problems are actually "out of spec" brass tubes, Smitty. I have experienced this firsthand when I was making LOTS of slims.

If the tube is too tight, and you press the tranny in anyhow, it can bend--or it can be difficult to turn if you have pushed it in a little too far (which can be required if the tube is a little long---like the Fr Sing size).

Most of the time the problem is easy to diagnose, but can really only be fixed by using a different tranny and the tube that fits it.

Of course this also presupposes you use tubes and trannies from the same source---which was NOT always true when I made slims. So, I felt I was responsible for my own difficulties.

I have taken to making sure the transmission operates before installing them (I am not at all good at disassembly). I insert the transmission finger tight into the tube and make sure it advances and retracts the refill. Since starting that I have had no failures ... but my transmissions and tubes are all from the same sourse. If I buy a kit elsewhere I keep the parts all in the same bag until I use them.

When people buy just transmissions from me I also test each one before I ship them. Pain in the neck if someone orders 50 or 100 of the doggone things.

Top Bottom