transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RollTide

I've noticed that some of the tramsmissions I've got from a certain website that sells some cheap slim lines seem to be a little too free twisting. They don't seem to lock like some of the tranmissions I've got in kits from Arizona Silhouette. It has made me hate twist pens (specifically the cartridge pens I've made) because as I'm writing the refill is retracting. It seems that both the upper and lower barrel are touching my hand. So when I'm writing it makes the refill retract. And this doesn't happen on pens I've made from Berea kits. Anyone else having this problem? I guess it goes to show ya, ya get what ya pay for.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by RollTide

I've noticed that some of the tramsmissions I've got from a certain website that sells some cheap slim lines seem to be a little too free twisting. They don't seem to lock like some of the tranmissions I've got in kits from Arizona Silhouette. It has made me hate twist pens (specifically the cartridge pens I've made) because as I'm writing the refill is retracting. It seems that both the upper and lower barrel are touching my hand. So when I'm writing it makes the refill retract. And this doesn't happen on pens I've made from Berea kits. Anyone else having this problem? I guess it goes to show ya, ya get what ya pay for.

Steve

Did someone mention Nick Sabin?

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

arioux

Hi,

That's one of the problem that happen the most with the lower end kits, at least in my case. Take a screw driver tip or a small punch or a small nail and make a little "dent" at the end of the transmission, toward the outside, that will help it grab inside the tube. Don't forget to extend the transmission, i order not to dammage the inside thread. Just a little one, if you make too much, it wont go in the tube anymore. I don't think that the quality of the transmission is the problem here (at least i hope so), but the tolerance and quality control on the inside diameter of the tube.

Alfred

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If that's the problem, they go both ways.

Some of the kits I have gotten have been so tight, I have bent the transmission while inserting. (Yes, I knocked it out, flared the end of the tube and inserted a new transmission, so I did save the pen).

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Are you guys all talking about the same thing? I thought from Steve's post that the problem is that the mech simply rotates too easily?

I could be way off ( it does happen :D ) but I think that is the purpose of the grease inside the mech. I originally thought that the grease was to lubricate the mech only, but now I think the resistance it offers works to tighten it up too. [?] I got some metal fillings inside one once and washed it out with wd40. It then turned just by looking at it. Eventually had to swap it though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve, ONE (of hundreds) of the transmissions (Cross type) shed it's skin. I never SAW the inside of a tranny before!!!

No, these transmissions are NOT built to the standards we have seen from the traditional suppliers. BUT, they WILL get better. If they also get more expensive, the pain will have been in vain. Time will tell.

arioux

Stece post said that transmission does'nt lock. I assume that it's turniing inside the tube.

I had few too tight too but most of the time it was kust too loose.

If they are going to improve, it wont be with me testing them. I,m over with those kit.

Alfred

bitshird

The only loose easy turning transmissions are from soaking them in Mineral Spirits I have had a few that were just too tighs=t, hence the cleaning out. as discussed a few days ago, there ia a substance called Motoin Controll Grease, at least that's what was said. I just thought that the grease was just there to prevent Rust or Oxidation, What I have niticed it the pen tries to extend the refill with out actually turning it, (like in your pocket) [8][8]

loglugger

I had one that was to tight and gave it a shot of wd 40. Then it turned way to easy but if you turned it clear to the end it would lock open then you could write with it.
Bob

fiferb

Are you left handed by chance? My sister came to my shop and made a slimline. She's left handed and had the same problem. I'm guessing because it is the way the pen moves in her hand versus the way it does in a right handed person.

sparhawk

I have had the same problem steve has and we have talked about it before. The transmisions hes talking about do not give that final little click at fully open. They just turn and stop but dont seem to click into that locked position.And if the ones that dont lock are really loose to turn they wont stay out. The refill just slowly goes back up into the pen as you are putting pressure on the point writing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe (note opinion, subject to differing opinions) these are all coming from the same factory, even if not the same distributor.

I would RATHER have higher quality, but there IS a learning curve to production. I am willing to put up with some problems, to create more competition among the suppliers. If we continue to support the lower cost suppliers and they manage to increase quality - it will all be worth the effort. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION - ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF I AM hoping for more than the real world can produce!!!:D:D:D

BTW, IF there WERE an AMERICAN alternative, yes, I would go out of my way to use it - but, until the dollar gets REALLY weak (which would have lots of negative implications), that's not likely to happen!

ahoiberg

i've had this problem on a number of pens... it's REALLY annoying when the refill retracts while writing. i definitely wouldn't want to give this as a gift or something... i might suggest either buying a pack of transmissions from somewhere else or just contact the company you bought them from and see if they'll send you a pack of replcements. i did that once before and it worked out, now i just use one of the new ones to switch out with the kit that i know will have a dud.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ed4copies

BTW, IF there WERE an AMERICAN alternative, yes, I would go out of my way to use it - but, until the dollar gets REALLY weak (which would have lots of negative implications), that's not likely to happen!

Ed with the way things have been going, you may not have very long to wait. However the bigger obstical to American Manufacturing is not labor or the dollar on the global market, but rather EPA and OSHA. Try to run a punch press made before 1985 that has not been retrofitted in a company with more than 10 employees!

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You mean I shouldn't believe: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!!"

Someday I'll tell you the story that started one day when a guy walked in and said, "I'm from the IRS and we have a problem, but I can help you solve it pretty quickly!" (It took 18 YEARS and BOY was it screwed up by the time he and several others finished with it!)

arioux

Originally posted by ed4copies

I believe (note opinion, subject to differing opinions) these are all coming from the same factory, even if not the same distributor.

I would RATHER have higher quality, but there IS a learning curve to production. I am willing to put up with some problems, to create more competition among the suppliers. If we continue to support the lower cost suppliers and they manage to increase quality - it will all be worth the effort. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION - ONLY TIME WILL TELL IF I AM hoping for more than the real world can produce!!!:D:D:D

Somewhere Ed, i agree with you. One day it will inprove and a good first step would be for them to take that f....ing transmission and twist it to see if it works properly. Then they could put it in their kit, like other serious manufactureres do.

Alfred

P.S. Do you by the way sell Kyocera Mita copier (Chinese made):D
This one was a joke, could'nt resist:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alfred,

Bad news, nearly ALL copiers are Chinese made.
Yes, I sell Kyocera under the Copystar label.
Now, when we get a copier made in JAPAN we consider it "high-end".

But, this is part of my experience with Chinese manufacturing. The copier industry NEVER went through the "crappy quality" from China. WHY? Cause the companies are owned in Japan and they will not TOLERATE CRAP. China can perform to whatever standard is enforced. This is why I hold "long-term hope" for our products.:D:D:D

Ok, color me an eternal optimist - you could be right!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by RollTide

I think this post has been derailed![:p]

<center>ON TOPIC:</center>

Yes, the transmissions vary greatly in quality and have numerous problems.:(:(:(:(:(

Suggested remedy: Buy a bag of extras - test before insertion.[:0][:0]

Alternate (and MY) remedy: Insert, find out it doesn't work right, knock out, insert different one, which I HAVE tested first.:D:D

Better???[?][?][?][?][?]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey, nice to have you with us, Rob!!!! (But I will forget your name, so please add to signature or profile --- thanks!!!)

Top Bottom