Transmissions??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's what they are called..
Please don't ask why,[:I] but I need some of the twist mechanisms for slimlines. I have checked PSI and Craft with no luck. Do I gotta buy kits to get these?

While here, what's good to use to cut 1/16" off tubes? I received some from PSI that were that much too long, I ground a couple with the Dremel but it's a pain to get them just right.
Thanks much,
ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I've had good luck with CS USA, true I've bought hundreds of kits.

Berea also, they make kits for others...

Why shorten tube, 1/16 is not worth the trouble. You have about 1/4" play as some kits use a longer bottom and regular top length.
So, 1/8" isn't going to affect anything... [8D]

Tom McMillan

I know Woodcraft sells transmissions separately at their stores---but, you might as well get a whole kit from AS or Woodturninz as it's about the same price or less and then you'll have extra parts!!

Also, not sure why you want to shorten the tubes, but a pen mill will do it if you need to.

G

1/16 th won't make a difference in a slimline that's the beauty of them.
They are adaptable.

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer about the tube length, although I may be overlooking something.
The tubes are for a PSI Longwood pen which uses slimline tubes and mechanisms. It has 2 1" long tubes for the nib end and a 2" tube for the clip end (the clip end blank is 3" long). One short tube is for the 1" front section. The centerband (tenoned on both ends) goes into the front section on the opposite end from the nib, and the other 1" tube is pressed onto the other end of the centerband. The clip end has the 2" tube installed at the clip end. The other end is where the bare tube slides into.
So, the short tube is 1/16 too long, and the clip end of the pen doesn't reach the centerband 'cause the two tubes hit each other.
Sorry for the length.
ken

jwoodwright

Ken,
Several Choices, make the 3" piece slightly longer and Barrel Trim to 3" length... [:)]

Or:

Use disc sander to gently remove a little off the 2" tube, easier to hold, safer than doing the 1"... Then ream the end to clear burrs...[:)]

Or:

Use tubes as they are... Leave upper blank at 3 1/16", bottom section has the transmission... Still no harm or foul...[:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom