Transmission slipping?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

I've begun what can only be considered a spiral of doom I believe.

I've turned my first pen! I now understand the importance of getting ALL the way to brass with the pen mill as well.

Anyways, my transmission is slipping. Is there anything I can do to pull the whole piece out without a disassembly tool? If not, i'll write it off as a learning experience and move on to my next a bit later this afternoon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

You need steel rod diameter close to refill.

Fix pen in vise and punch nib.
Then punch out transmission.

Then install nib back, make several cuts with nail file on brass part of transmission, put one drop of CA and push transmission. Wait a couple of minutes.
That's all.

GrantH

What pen kit are you making? That will determine what to do.

Just your basic slimline kit.
You need steel rod diameter close to refill.

Fix pen in vise and punch nib.
Then punch out transmission.

Then install nib back, make several cuts with nail file on brass part of transmission, put one drop of CA and push transmission. Wait a couple of minutes.
That's all.

Thanks, will look into this.

PenMan1

On slimlines, after you knock out nib with a small transfer punch, you can push the transmission through a small socket (just larger than the transmission) over a partially open vise. Then by tapping with mallet and transfer punch you can reseat the transmission with removing it.

My experience is that the slim transmission offer slip when seated too deep.

My "socket" ( 8 mm, I think) is a far more efficient tool than my disassembly set.

randyrls

Grant; One of the most useful multiple use tools is a set of transfer punches. A Set is from 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/64" steps costs about $10

Remove the ink cartridge. Insert a 1/8" transfer punch thru the transmission and knock out the nib with a small hammer. Then pick a punch that will just fit into the tube and knock out the transmission.

Chris Bar

If you have finished turning the pen, use the transfer punches as suggested but obtain a piece of thin but fairly firm rubber sheet, 4 in x 4 in. [I use a jar lid snaffler] and wrap around turning, stretching rubber as you complete the first turn, which makes it tight, makes sufficient turns to use all the sheet, then hold while you tap the punch. This prevents damage to the surface, even on completed shiny finishes. Process may take several grasps since the turning will often still slip in the rubber jacket, but unless you glued it in place, it will come off. Then the same is done for the hardware in the other end.

Top Bottom