Transmission for Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

I just got a 30 pack of slimline kits but I noticed a couple of things. First, the transmissions are very short with white plastic inserts on one end. Second was the brass tubes are longer than any of my other slimline kits. Is this just due to me using a different company to order from or is there been a change to the slimline kits?

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Not all slim line kits are made the same. Changing suppliers may well change what you mentioned...which is not necessarily a bad thing...just different. But, it could be a bad thing. You will soon know.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

secord

I would like to throw in my 8 cents on this topic assuming this is the "The Ultimate Pen Turner's Package". Two cents for each item below:
1) The price was great, about $2 per kit (chrome at that).:)
2) It is always a mistake to assume that the tube lengths are the same for all slimlines (even from the same company). Yep I cut several blanks the size that I had always cut. So those are shot! My mistake!!!!!!!:mad:
3) Malaysian Exotic does not mean hardwoods. My brother and I looked at the end of one of the blanks and it looked like pressed wood. I stuck it on the lathe with just a spur drive and live center to see what it looked like. I tossed in the firewood pile as it was just pulp wood with no coloring. I then used a sharp tool and poked the rest of them. The result 6 more hit the firewood pile.
4) The transmission appears broken after screwing in a cartridge then removing it.
1222132114_zpsfecfec6d.jpg.html
1222132114_zpsfecfec6d.jpg.html

The transmission on the left is prior to inserting a ink cartridge and the one on the right is after the cartridge was screwed in the removed. But I think the is correct just weird.

JCochrun

I just used other tubes/transmissions that I had sitting around. I guess I should look into buying the individual components if I am going for large quantity.

Jim

jaygeedubya

ah, wished I'd seen this a week earlier - bought the ultimate pkg at half off (for a beginner, what could go wrong?), made my first pen with the kit last night. Transmission is very stiff, and had issues with the end/clip - had to glue it in. So not happy, but was going to make a few more before I really complained.

I haven't looked at the blanks yet, but forewarned. thanks!

jamie

Rob77

Here's just a little advice, check the transmissions before you assemble the pen.

Incoming stupid question.. How are you guys testing the transmission before assembly? Are you pressing the parts into the brass tubes and then disassembling them afterwards?

I'm probably missing something obvious.

lorbay

Here's just a little advice, check the transmissions before you assemble the pen.

Incoming stupid question.. How are you guys testing the transmission before assembly? Are you pressing the parts into the brass tubes and then disassembling them afterwards?

If you hold the little brass end between thumb and finger you can twist the silver part.
Lin.

Tim'sTurnings

If you hold the little brass end between thumb and finger you can twist the silver part.
Lin.

+1 on this. Just twist the ends by hand to make sure it is loose enough to twist, not too tight, and not too loose and sloppy. If it doesn't work correctly don't use that tranny.
Tim.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

In addition to testing slimline transmissions prior to assembly, I've also learned to check each refill to make sure that the endcap is fully seated, that it is the correct overall length, and that it will screw into the transmission.

If the refill doesn't screw in easily, it could be either a bad refill, or a bad transmission.

One other tip: when screwing in the refill (or anything with metal to plastic threads), twist backwards until you feel the threads click. Then screw it in. That helps prevent cross-threading.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom