transmission issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

Anyone else have any problems with the transmission collapsing a little when being pressed in? It has happened twice in the last week or so and that was the first time I had the problem. I'm thinking maybe a small amount of epoxy got in the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Which kit is that for? Slimline? I never have had that issue personally. I know I have had the white plastic part of the transmission get knocked down some when I disassemble certain pens but that is easily pushed back up. Does sound like you have something in the tubes still.

knowltoh

It was on a 30.06 casing pen. The transmission, which came from a slimline kit, does have to get pressed in a relatively long distance.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On the first order of slimlines I bought from China (3 - 4 years ago), I had that problem with several transmissions. They fit VERY tight and the pressing process could "smash" them.

Haven't had it recently, though. And I have used some Chinese kits.

sbell111

I've killed a number of transmission while making bullet pens. As I understand the problem, it is because the tube isn't able to stretch to accomodate the transmission as it normally would if you were making a slim.

It stinks because you then have to disassemble the cartridge to replace the tube and start over.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've killed a number of transmission while making bullet pens. As I understand the problem, it is because the tube isn't able to stretch to accomodate the transmission as it normally would if you were making a slim.

It stinks because you then have to disassemble the cartridge to replace the tube and start over.

That sounds like a design flaw to me---whose kit is this? PM me if you don't want to say on the forum, but I am considering handling a commercial kit of this type---sounds like I don't want the one you are using!!

Thanks

mrcook4570

I ream out the case head a little prior to inserting the tube. This gives a little room to allow for expansion when inserting the transmission.

mrcook4570

That sounds like a design flaw to me---whose kit is this? PM me if you don't want to say on the forum, but I am considering handling a commercial kit of this type---sounds like I don't want the one you are using!!

Thanks

I can't speak for the OP, but it is not a design flaw if REAL casings are being used. They have too much 'meat' to allow for the necessary expansion when inserting the transmission. Some extra material must be removed from that area to prevent crushing the transmission.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I can't speak for the OP, but it is not a design flaw if REAL casings are being used. They have too much 'meat' to allow for the necessary expansion when inserting the transmission. Some extra material must be removed from that area to prevent crushing the transmission.

Stan, when I make casing pens, with a 30-06, the tube is completely inside the casing. But I assemble the nib, tube and transmission before inserting it into the casing so I know the OP is not talking about one I made (pshew)

The only thing that would inhibit inserting the transmission (that I can think of, besides glue in the tube) would be the diameter of the hole drilled in the top of the casing.

But if I handle commercially-made kits, I don't want to redrill each one before I ship it!!!!!!!!!!

Sylvanite

Under normal conditions, the brass tube expands slightly when you press in the transmission. When glued or soldered into a brass shellcase, however, the tube has no place to go. The solid portion of the case head (called the web) is too rigid.

On a 30-06 shellcase, the web is only about 1/4" deep, and the transmission typically seats farther in than that. Therefore, if you ream out the tube with a 1/4" drill bit, 1/4" deep, the transmission will slip more easily past the restriction and press fit where the tube is uncontstrained.

I ream my cartridges with a letter "F" bit, which is actually a little bigger in diameter than 1/4". The transmission then drops freely through the case web.

The trick to drilling a concentric hole is to drill on the lathe.

Regards,
Eric

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I have found that the casing has about 3/16 brass on the end for the transmission. I have been enlarging the tube using the next size up fron 1/4 drill bit before I glue in the tube. then I ream out the finished casing with a 1/4 brill bit to be sure. has worked and I haven't destroyed another transmission since. hope this helps........

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Lazy????

Stan, when I make casing pens, with a 30-06, the tube is completely inside the casing. But I assemble the nib, tube and transmission before inserting it into the casing so I know the OP is not talking about one I made (pshew)

The only thing that would inhibit inserting the transmission (that I can think of, besides glue in the tube) would be the diameter of the hole drilled in the top of the casing.

But if I handle commercially-made kits, I don't want to redrill each one before I ship it!!!!!!!!!!
Why....little work never hurt anybody, as my dear old mama used to say.

sbell111

Thanks
It's almost certainly a design flaw, but given that I assemble my own bullets, it is my design flaw. The reason for the problem hinges on the fact that I use .308 brass. This gives me cartridges that are better sized for pens than the 30-06 ones are (in my opinion), but leaves me with the problem of pressing in mechanisms at the solid juncture where the tube meets the cartridge.

Top Bottom