Transmission installation . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

About all I have done are PSI kits with a few Woodcrafts thrown in for beginner's practice. Some have been a tad bit rough. I now give each one a few drops of light oil and they work flawlessly. Is there any harm in oiling them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by mrplace
<br />Maybe its my OCD, but that sticky crap on the twist mech always seems to attract any little dust partical on the bench and it drives me crazy.[B)]

Sorry dude, but you HAVE to be a little bit crazy to enjoy what we do. BTW, I speak fluent OCD, even with lots of "happy pills"!!

cozee

Onr thing I learned in almost 40 years of slot cars as a hobby is that brass, unless it oil or silicon impregnated, needs oiling for smoother operation, even when contacting plastic. I asked the question about oiling since I am not sure what type of plastic the parts in the tranny are made of and didn't want to see a meltdown of the plastic over time. Try taking one from a kit and operating it a few times. Then apply a few drops of a light oil, like good ol' sewing machine oil (3 in 1) and I am sure you will notice a difference once the oil has made it's round.

woodbutcher

Not to be argumentative but I would put one that you have oiled to the side for several mos to a year or so and see it it still works as well. I have tried a few things (unrelated to topic) that seemed swell at the time but later found my ideas were falling short of their goal. My reason for caution here is caused by the constant need for the tranny to work smoothly during the life of the writing instrument. Add to that the fact excess oil can cause problems throughout the entire pen. Just some thoughts from this end. I do congratulate your enthusiasm. [:)]
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom