Transmission in to far....Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

I made such a rookie mistake! I was assembling a slimline, I pressed the writing tip in then the transmission. I pushed the transmission in about 1/16 too far. Is there any way to pull it back out just a bit without destroying the pen and/or the transmission?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

A pen disassembly tool will remove that transmission. It's basically a small rod that will go thru the transmission to let you hammer out the tip then a larger one to hammer out the transmission.

Ed

A heavy guage wire (I use the blue ones from the cleaners)coat hanger allows you to hammer out the tip, just so it is larger than the hole forthe refil to fit through, and a 1/4 inch threaded of straight rod you can hammer out the transmission.

jb_pratt

If I get a disassembly tool and get the parts out can the pen be reassembled or are only the components salvageable or is the barrel salvageable as well?

Firefyter-emt

FYI... the tranny will be HARD to press out. If you measure the outside of the transmission, drill a hole in some Corian (if you have it, if not hard wood) then slip the transmission thru the hole and then tap the transmission out. With all luck, you will not damage the wood, but it would be VERY hard to "tap out" the transmission.

jb_pratt

Thanks all for the your advice. In removing the writing tip, what do you use to hold the barrel? I understand the concept of hammering the tip out, but I'm trying to work out in my mind how I hold the the barrel while hammering out the tip.[?]

Firefyter-emt

The nib will pop out while held by hand easy enough. (remove any rings first) Remove the refill, select the transfer punch that fits thru the transmission and tap it with a small hammer. Make sure the nib can fall on something soft and not the floor when it pops out. For the tranny, follow the above steps and you will be all set, However I just thought of something. You need to fully tap the tranny out or you can't press the nib back in! [:I]

Hi Jb,
What you need is a small piece of non slip rubber like a viberation mat.
Hold the barrel with the rubber wrapped around the barrel and on the edge of the bench, and then knock out the point. Now take a punch or a drill
that will just go in the tube SMOOTH END FIRST and knock the transmission
out just a bit, till you can see the depth ring. No need to remove it totally.
Just Charlie & Betsy

RollTide

What I do is take a block of wood, cut in half length wise. Clamp the two peices together and drill a hole at the seam just a tiny bit smaller diameter than the tranny. Unclamp the block, take the pen and place a washer on the tranny, insert the pen/tranny into the hole, leaving about an 1/8" gap between the block and the washer. Clamp the block together. Now the block is gripping pretty tight around the tranny. Take two screw drivers and place them under the washer on two sides 180 degress from each other and pry up. You only need to move it a little. Sometimes this has worked for and sometimes not. Depends on how tight the tranny is in the tube. If it works you won't need disassembly tools.[;)]

rdunn12

If it is a pen for you take the refill out,pull the screw part of the refill off.You can pull it off by hand,grind the refill down a little and put the black end back on and retest.This method should only be used if the pen is for YOU and not for sale as future refills will not fit right.I have a pen I use now that I did the same thing and this method works great,just dont sell it.

cdcarter

I'm with Fyrefighter. I haven't had a lot of luck disassembling the trannies. Sometimes on a sub-$10 kit, it's just not worth the time it takes to salvage.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cdcarter
<br />I'm with Fyrefighter. I haven't had a lot of luck disassembling the trannies. Sometimes on a sub-$10 kit, it's just not worth the time it takes to salvage.

Agree. This is the best answer yet. Slim trans. are fragile. Dissassembly is possible but often the trans will still get ruined. Slims aren't worth the fuss. Trash, start a new pen and chalk up as experience.

Firefyter-emt

No need to "trash" the kit, most everyone should have a small stock pile of slimline tubes for pen mill sleeves, custom "ideas" and what not. You can carefully remove the wood and brass tube with a dremmel or even a file and save the kit if you want to trash the tubes. I use some pliers to break the wood in the middle of the tube, flake off the wood and with a cut off wheel in my dremmel I grind off a strip of the tube until it "pops". When this happens, the hard ware, tranny included fall out by hand.
This is very useful on kits like the Jr. Statesman that have a very long plastic thread that will most likly break if you try to tap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom