Transfer punch and relevant pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

Had a look in the library but wondering is there a list of which punches can be used for holding the various pen barrels? I tend to use the punches a fair bit so it would be handy to know what size punches fit into the various kits. I use the punches every time I square up a pen barrel and unfortunately every time I have to disassemble a pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

yea that one is falling on your shoulders. You will have to come up with your own system. I use those punches for many things and simply taking one and slipping it in the tube is not hard at all. It does not fit i try the next one and so forth.

Tiger

You need only look at the bushing sizes for a given pen and compare them to the decimal size of the transfer punch. :)
I was wondering whether there was and intuition would tell you that there has to be a relationship between drill size and transfer punch. I can't find any one formula that works but generally the drill bit size is approx 15 to 20% larger than the transfer punch. I realise that I can just keep trying the punches out until one fits and that's what I tend to do but it would be nice to have all the necessary tools and equipment at hand.

Curly

The bushing fits inside the pen tube like a transfer punch will. So same size. The drill bit is the outside diameter of the tube, sort of, since there is no consistency in wall thicknesses, a formula would be a pain to develop. At least for me it would. ;)

Paul from NJ

When I turn blanks and get down to the sanding level--I find that the light colored wood blanks develop a dark circle around the edges of the pen blank. Does any one know why and how to correct this problem?

JimB

When I turn blanks and get down to the sanding level--I find that the light colored wood blanks develop a dark circle around the edges of the pen blank. Does any one know why and how to correct this problem?

If you are sanding then you are probably roughing the sandpaper to the bushings and getting bushing sanding dust on your blank.

BTW, I would recommend starting a new thread for your question as it will probably get lost in this one. You may also want to post in the 'Introductions' forum and introduce yourself. Welcome to IAP.

SteveG

When the punches are sitting in the standard rack, each in sequential order, it is easy to just slide the blank over the punch, to size it. If no fit, step down...if loose, step up. Quick 'n easy. Nothing to remember except to return the punches to the rack after each use (which will be a great organizational practice in and of itself!).

ADDED TIP::present:(No extra charge! :tongue:) If you have the dedicated pen maker's set, meaning no punch point on one end, then you will want to ID which end is inserted into the pen for disassembly, and which end gets hit with the hammer, and thus will 'mushroom' out a bit. Lay out ALL the punches on a scrap sheet of cardboard in an orderly fashion, side-by-side. Then lay another piece of cardboard to mask about 90% of the length of the punches. Hit the small revealed end of the punches with a light coat of bright color spray paint. Now you have the "HIT 'EM" :hammer:end and the "PRECISION SIZE" end readily identified. No need to periodically file off the mushroom.:)

Top Bottom