Tranny Drift....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

Help...

Got a problem that seems to popup now and then. Once every so often a pen seems to drift with use. Meaning I twist it and it slowly drifts (rotates) back. I thought a while back someone may have had a similar problem or is this another early Alzheimers moment? ;) TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I take it we're talking slimline here?

Beats me! That's a strange one. My only guess would be you're pushing down too hard on the pen when writing, the pressure from that is pushing up on the refil and turning the tranny. Either that or just the way you hold a pen and write. The lower end is in your grip, the upper end resting on the web of your thumb. Maybe they're acting against each other as you write, unscrewing the pen. Find a drifing pen and then hold it in a way you're not touching the upper half, see if it does it. If so, reduce the pressure, see if that stops it. Only problem is, if it does stop, I dont know how to keep it that way. lol

ilikewood

This can happen for a couple of reasons that I know.

1. Bad tranny

2. The tranny is seated too deep or something is not allowing the mechanism to fully extend and cross the "break point". This can happen if the spring in the system binds (cigar) or the tip keeps the refill from extending out all the way (slimline). The tranny mechanism has to fully extend.

opfoto

I have had it happen to both the slim lines....as well as cigars. Not only when writing as well. Just twisting it to bring the tip out maybe half way on the one that I have now. Thanks again.

Skye

So, the tranny isnt locking.

Take the spring out, try it again.

Can you disassemble the pen and try the tranny out while it's outside the pen?

knottyharry

Marc,
I've had a couple of kits where the hole in the nib was not allowing the tip of the cartridge to come all the way out. I had to take a drill bit and ream it out just a touch. Don't know if that will help. Just my 2 cents.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom