training a new turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Armacielli

The little sister has been bugging me to turn something for a while. I decided to give her a crash course in "Lathe 101"
This first course was just a walkthrough of the different tools and what they do.

katscamera2013.jpg

I figure that subsequent lessons will consist of me drawing up simple shapes and seeing if she can turn them up. I'll assign her a pen when I think she's ready

katscamera2011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

It's a proud moment when a kid goes to school with a pen they made themselves (according to my nephew).

allenworsham

I was 12 years old when I first started on the lathe and fell in love with it. Still love at 46. Good for you to getting her started.

Her form looks good with the gouge. Eye protection looks good though a full face shield would be better. Sleeves rolled up to keep away from the spinning wood looks good. But longer hair being loose around a spinning machine is not good. All it takes is leaning down to blow off some shavings or to take a closer look at her work and her hair could get sucked in. Along with the the full face shield, get her a scrunchy to tie back those beautiful golden locks or she might end up bald like me.

R2

Good on you Christian!! you are obviously safety aware, Pulleys and belts covered,safety specs, rolled up sleeves. Just woory about long hair and no net.
Hope your sister enjoys the fun as we all do!:):)[^]

Top Bottom