Traditional skew vs Rockler carbide mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Well, the verdict is in. SKEW!!

After a couple of weeks of learning how to sharpen, hone and use a skew there is no comparison. I now use my carbide to take off the meat of the blank but once I get close to the bushings the skew is the hands down winner. A little 400-600 grit hits with sandpaper and it's ready for finish.

Thanks all for the advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Good for you. Happy turning. Sometimes I use the toe (the top of the skew) to knock off corners and get better at turning righty and lefty. I also use the toe for some final cuts. Enjoy!

Pen Zen

What about some of the carbide tools like the Magical Skew (?) or the newer Woodpeckers carbide tools that have 45% bevels? Aren't these tools supposed to shear more than scrape? Or just hype?

MiteyF

What about some of the carbide tools like the Magical Skew (?) or the newer Woodpeckers carbide tools that have 45% bevels? Aren't these tools supposed to shear more than scrape? Or just hype?

The only carbide I own is the magical skew... and while it's a lovely tool, it's no skew.

JimB

The tools are either scraping or cutting. When presented at the angle such as the Magical Skew it is shear scraping. You can do the same thing with other carbide tools and HSS scrapers simply by rolling them over. Shear scraping will produce a better finish then regular scraping.

Skews cut the wood and are bevel rubbing. The angle they are at is naturally creating a shear cut (not scrape) and is bevel rubbing and that is why it gives such a smooth cut.

Many HSS tools, when used properly, can produce a cut that is incredible smooth. Not as good as a skew but better then carbide. As an example, most people hold a roughing gouge straight into the wood and get a very rough cut. If you swing the handle to the side and rub the bevel you can get a very smooth cut.

MiteyF

Many HSS tools, when used properly, can produce a cut that is incredible smooth. Not as good as a skew but better then carbide. As an example, most people hold a roughing gouge straight into the wood and get a very rough cut. If you swing the handle to the side and rub the bevel you can get a very smooth cut.

This. With my Sorby fingernail gouge super sharp, I can get a cut that's almost indistinguishable from a skew. I don't see carbide ever matching either of them. In fact, I'm just as likely to finish a pen with my FN gouge as I am with a skew, only because I'm more comfortable with it, which is really what it boils down to.

And +1 to the roughing gouge comment. If your gouge is sharp and used correctly, there's really nothing "rough" about it.

Top Bottom