TOUGH TRANSMISSION

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

Today I assembled a pen I turned several wweks ago- a Sierra. The top went on fine. I use an arbor press and it was smooth and seated well. Then I assembled the refill into the transmission and screwed everything together with the tip section. When I went to put the tip into the top portion of the Sierra the last 3/8" was hard to press in AND once in, the transmission turned and the point appeared but it was not smooth and easy.

I changed transmissions 3 times with other Berea Sierra kits and they were fine on other pens but not on this one.....I got the same results--- hard to turn to get the point out.

Apparently, it is something in the top portion that is causing this. Any ideas?

To top it all off- It is an expensive kit and an expensive blank.

Carmen

I don't do the Sierra, so won't be much help on the kit itself... but I'm thinking you may have a spot of glue in the tube... I've had other kits that the transmission is hard or rough turning and that has been my problem.

jttheclockman

I have had the nib end hole not be large enough for the refill to fit through smoothly due to overplating. The problem here though is if you drill the hole larger you run the risk of the plating to chip. I just sent them back to the dealer and got them replaced no problem. This happen with 3 from the same batch. So I guess it was a defective batch.

Or else as stated some obstruction in the tube.

sefali

Does the refill move cleanly through the nib? Maybe the hole is a little tight, or the refill tip is a little thick?

Seems John was hitting enter as I was typing.

Top Bottom