A tough Lesson on Alumilite, Why on a steampunk blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cschimmel

Well I have used alumilite for years making fishing lures but I guess I have previously gone through it very quickly. I spent a bunch of time taking apart watches and gluing up this blank only to use my alumilte and discover its gone bad. I poured it and it looked fine when I came back not so fine. Oh well these lessons suck but that will not happen again. by the way it looked really cool.

Attachments

• mistake 001.jpg
    mistake 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 286
  • mistake 002.jpg
    mistake 002.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Isn't there some way to dissolve the alumilite off of the tube? I don't know anything about casting, but something has got to dissolve that stuff.

greggas

I had a similar issue recently and was able to dissolve the alumilite in acetone. Takes between 24-48 hours. May also dissolve some of the CA glue (assuming that is what you used) but, at least in my case, the CA held-up longer than alumilite

Last edited:

bruce119

Ouch looks like you got some moisture in there from somewhere. Alumilite is not forgiving at all. That is why I stopped using it long ago. I use Silmar 41 with about 3-4 drops of MEKP per once and it's not too brittle. PR is a little more forgiving. But they both have there pros and cons depending what you are doing.

Isn't casting fun

Top Bottom