Torlon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bloodhound

Has anyone tried making a pen out of Torlon? I picked up some scrap from work. I guess it's really hard. Not sure if I can even turn it by hand. Thought i would ask before I tried.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Got nothing to loose by trying it. Never heard of the stuff, but looking it up says it is a plastic of some sort, but apparently pretty tough. Be happy to try it for ya! :)

Ed McDonnell

Wow!! Looks like it goes for over $80+/foot in 5/8" rod. And you get to choose from Black or Yellow Brown. Seems like it would be pretty amazing stuff and I would try to turn it if I had it, but I don't see myself running out and buying any.

Might make some nice durable rust proof bushings.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you make out.

Ed

Last edited:

bloodhound

Park.....as for bushings. If you need stock let me know what you are looking for. The amount and type of scrap around this place is amazing. Bronze,aluminum, stainless, Teflon, fenalic (spell). Let me know what you are looking for.

joek30296

Bloodhound...you must work for an airline, LOL. The stuff they used to throw away (I worked for an airline) was amazing. Same sort of stuff as you, stainless, teflon, phenolic, alumminum, titanium. Since I've retired, I sure do miss being able to get some of it.

stonepecker

Bloodound, If you are serious, would you be willing to get a med flat rate package of a little of everything together for me and I am will pay the shipping?

I so do love to play with leftovers......lol.

bloodhound

Ok. Well here's the deal. As far as the torlon goes I have umm five pieces. I can send out. Mad for everything else. That is commonn scrap So np there I will gather some up and send it out. The torlon. I'll send out to the first 4. I will keep a piece to play with. And I'll keep an eye out for it if you like it. Deal?

bloodhound

Ok so Paul,Park,joe,Stone, and Keith. I'll send this out next week. Pm me your address and if you are just wanting the torlon or whatever else I can scrape up also please. And thanks. I can't wait to see if and what yall can do with it.

79spitfire

It's worth a shot, but this stuff makes Delrin look like silly putty, and that stuff is hard to polish!!

bloodhound

Ok guys. Sorry it's takin so long. It's winter and I work two jobs this time of the year but first box wend out today to park. I'll work my way down the list. So be patient please.

Ed McDonnell

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to it. At least working two jobs might be helping to keep you warm (unless they are outside jobs ...brrrrrrr... I don't even want to think about that!!).

Ed

Top Bottom