Top and Trans Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I just made 2 Elk horn pens for my son-in and his dad. But for some reason the brass spins on the transmition Dont know if when I squared the ends with the pen mill that I didnt run it in and out too much. I might have to drill out the tube and glue in another one. don't know what happened to the brass tubes and its on both of them. Any ideas??? I cant throw them out and make new the top and bottommatch and are from the same piece Thanks Rich H.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I just made 2 Elk horn pens for my son-in and his dad. But for some reason the brass spins on the transmition Dont know if when I squared the ends with the pen mill that I didnt run it in and out too much. I might have to drill out the tube and glue in another one. don't know what happened to the brass tubes and its on both of them. Any ideas??? I cant throw them out and make new the top and bottommatch and are from the same piece Thanks Rich H.

Rich; What model of pen is it? How loose is the transmission? On some pens, there is an extra piece that goes into the cap. Have you made this model of pen before? Did it work?

You might want to clamp the transmission end into a vise and CAREFULLY squeeze the transmission so it is oval shaped.

Those pens sound good!

rherrell

If you're talking about a loose slimline transmission you can take a center punch and put a couple of dimples on the brass part. That should make some tiny ridges that will tighten it up when you re-insert it.

RDH79

Hi Guys The kits I use for my horn pens are the comfort kits. Rick, are you taking about putting a couple dimples on the trans . I cant get thetube out of the cap. ried to figure out how to put burrs in side on the brass tube but havent figured that out yet. Rich H.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If I am understanding correctly, your tube spins, free from the horn or the brass does not turn the transmission (Not enough friction).

If EITHER of these is the correct assessment, drizzle (technical term) thin CA to run down the outside of the tube, inside of the horn. Some will go into the brass tube. Allow to dry overnight. The horn will be reattached and/or there will be a little built up on the inside of the brass tube - sand carefully with round file until you have the desired "push power".

RDH79

The horn is attached to the brass tube. The tube spins on the trans and not making the ink go in and out the brass tube is not gripping the transmission.

MobilMan

Try smearing a small amount of CA on the upper outside end of the trans. About the first 1/2". Let it dry real good then put it together & see if the glue will tighten it up enough to twist.

rherrell

I believe the Comfort pens use a slimline transmission. What I'm saying is IF your tube is glued properly to the horn and is NOT loose then remove the transmission and put the dimples on the brass part of the transmission. If your TUBE is loose follow Ed's advice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rick,

By coating the INSIDE of the brass tube with CA, you can achieve enough friction to make the tranny work.

Putting CA on the tranny will work, also, but I have Glued the tranny in the open position doing this. I am not generally neat!!

stoneman

Rich,

Before getting too far into things, let me ask - do you use baseplate wax or a similar material to plug the ends of your tubes before gluing? If so, I have found that the wax will often leave a light coating on the ends of the tubes after knocking the plugs out. This seems to get smeared around when assembling and twisting the pen. I had a number of slimlines twist very easily around the transmission before discovering this. I use a small amount of laquer thinner (I expect other solvents would also work) on a q-tip and carefully swab the inside of the tube and the outside of the transmission to remove the wax residue. In the instances I had the tube then gripped the tranny just fine. I was very surprised at the change.

One word of caution - be careful not to get the solvent on the end of the tube/barrel as it will wick up the end grain into the material and dampen the wood from the inside. Otherwise, the cure has worked wonders for me.

Last edited:

RDH79

Well I think I might have gotten carried away with the pen mill trying to clean out the gorilla glue. I almost always use play-doh to plug the tubes but this batch I was in a hurry and didnt. Im trying the CA if that doesnt work Ill look for something really sticky. Thanks for the replys. Rich H.

Top Bottom