Tools Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

I am new to turning and have a few questions about tools. When looking at purchasing tools which type of steel is better?
I'd also like some suggestions on tool storage. I was thinking of putting up a wood shelf and drilling holes in it to hang the tools from. What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lkorn

Welcome to turning and the IAP.

Inexpensive steel tools will do the job. Harbor Freight has a set of turning tools for about $40.00 or so. THey are excellent tools. As you gain experience tools marked 'HSS', or High Speed Steel are higher quality, but more importantly hold an edge longer so that you get more working time from each sharpening. Then there are the 'M2' and even higher grades. Dont worry about them yet, learn the craft and your needs will become apparent to you.

As to storage, I use PVC pipe so that the edges are covered preventing accidental cuts. Always think about shop safety, even for tool storage.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have a set of the HF turning tools that go on sale for $10.00.
I think that makes each chisel about $1.40.
I hone with a diamond stone or occaisionally my bench sander, all by eye.
The wood I turn doesn't seem to know the difference.
Save your money for kits and blanks.
As for storage, I bought one of those plasic gizmos for holding screwdrivers and such,I think it hold 50 tools,I paid less than $5.00 at Homier for it.
I screwed it to the side of a table I keep next to the lathe.
Nothing has to be fancy or expensive.
I also use "cheap" carving tools I buy at HF, about $5.00 a set of 8.
Carbon steel and I grind any profile I want.
They beat the pants off those fancy"pen turning" chisels that the suppliers rip you off for.

Scott

Hi Fred,

I will come in a little differently than the others on this. I think it would be wise to start right off with High Speed Steel (HSS) tools, especially where Harbor Freight also makes an inexpensive set of HSS turning tools. I've always found that money spent on good tools is never a waste!

As far as tool storage, I currently use a large gray plastic bin I bought at Sams Club for some other use. I set it down on a palate of flooring behind my lathe for some reason, and just started laying my tools on it. The small tools go in the bin, and the larger ones lay across the top of it. I think the idea of a wooden shelf with holes drilled in it sounds great! I would make one myself if I could figure out how to make it on my lathe! [:D]

Scott.

Dario

Most high end tools are worth their price...and most really cheap tools are worth nothing. In the end cheap tools WILL cost you more. Save yourself from the frustration, expense and anguish and stir away from those.

That said, budget is real to most of us and while we all want the best...we mostly have to compromise.

Luckily, nowadays there are a few good VALUE tools, especially cutting tools...just know where to look.

I too am impressed with the HF HSS tools. For my use, they will last my lifetime. Will I upgrade later? Yes, if I can afford it [:D].

On storage, I got a 4-layered steel tube framed shelving in casters (approximately 2'-6" high). It is very cheap and the shelves are made of wires spaced at approx 3/4". I just stick my tool through that and I also have a lot of extra storage for things I need to turn.

One big bonus with the wire shelves...all the shaving fall through...less clean up [;)]. The shelves being on casters make it easy to move around too...very convenient when you are operating on tight space (like my garage).

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Most high end tools are worth their price...and most really cheap tools are worth nothing. <b>In the end cheap tools WILL cost you more. Save yourself from the frustration, expense and anguish and stir away from those.</b>That said, budget is real to most of us and while we all want the best...we mostly have to compromise.

Luckily, nowadays there are a few good VALUE tools, especially cutting tools...just know where to look.

I too am impressed with the HF HSS tools. For my use, they will last my lifetime. Will I upgrade later? Yes, if I can afford it [:D].

On storage, I got a 4-layered steel tube framed shelving in casters (approximately 2'-6" high). It is very cheap and the shelves are made of wires spaced at approx 3/4". I just stick my tool through that and I also have a lot of extra storage for things I need to turn.

One big bonus with the wire shelves...all the shaving fall through...less clean up [;)]. The shelves being on casters make it easy to move around too...very convenient when you are operating on tight space (like my garage).

A little contradictory aren't we?
I don't think I can turn a better pen with a $50.00 skew, and I don't even know if that is an expensize skew.
I have turned with carpenter chisels and it comes out good.
I am not bragging, but when someone is just starting out, there are more important things to put money into.
I might just try turning a pen with a sharpened screw driver.[:D]

Dario

Eagles,

May look like contradiction but it isn't.

I am referring to "really cheap tools" which I believe will cost you something say just a dollar. If you get that, chances are you won't be happy and eventually upgrade. That dollar (and most likely more) could have been used towards the "inevitable" upgrade.

Not sure if you are following me though.

its_virgil

I too like many others have the HF set of 8 tools for $12 and just ecently purchased their better set of 8 tools for around $40 when they were on sale for $40. All are HSS but the $40 set seems to be much better than the $10 set. I have never regretted gettiing the $40 set from HF and like eagle, I don't think my pens know the difference. I only wish HF had some larger bowl bowl gouges and oval skews.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dario

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
A little contradictory aren't we?
I don't think I can turn a better pen with a $50.00 skew, and I don't even know if that is an expensize skew.
I have turned with carpenter chisels and it comes out good.
I am not bragging, but when someone is just starting out, there are more important things to put money into.
I might just try turning a pen with a sharpened screw driver.[:D]

I agree that the law of diminishing return applies to tools also but I will be darned if I will advise anyone (especially a newbie) to use a carpenters chisel for turning.

Will it work? YES, I know it will. Is it the best? I don't believe so.

FYI, I turned my first bowl between centers....no chuck, no faceplate. Just the drive spur and the tail stock. I don't know if you can picture it but hollowing is a big challenge when you cannot disengage the tail stock.

I also used a parting tool to hollow...why? Because I don't have the right tool. The reward is I did it...I still have my first bowl and I am proud of what I managed to do with what I have.

AGAIN...that said, I will NEVER advise anyone to try it. If they want to, they are free to do so....on their own.

Daniel

Every craft, trade, or skill I have ever learned to do. Which is many. I have consistantly heard one requirment. use "Quality materials and tools" note: not necessarily expensive. Knowing Quality for a beginner is next to impossible most of the time.
the thinking is. You cannot get a good outcome if you use poor tools and materials.
Where I se this most is in attempts by others to do repairs around the house. nasty patch jobs in dry wall, trim that does not have tight joints, you can pretty much name it. you can walk into a house and just see the work that was done by an experiences craftsperson. and the work that was done by the person trying to make the cheap hammer an screwdriver do more than they could do.
I remember nearly destroying cars trying to do minor repairs, until I finally bought a set of craftsman tools. suddenly nuts and bolts freed up much easier and cars actually got fixed.
at any rate never underestimate just what a $50 skew may do for you. I have one. and I use it more than any other turning tool when making a pen. there may very well be a $5 one out there but it was a gift from a friend. A very nice one at that.

Dario

Very good point Daniel.

That is what I meant by "good value" (price vs. quality)

Here's how I see it.
(worst deal) Expensive-low quality
(bad deal) Cheap-low quality
(okay deal) Expensive-high quality
(best deal) Cheap-high quality

Ofcourse there are numerous categories in between but I think you can see the idea.

Another interesting point you brough up is having the right tool to do the job. I can turn a pen from blank to finish using only sandpaper but I won't (I don;t have enough sandpaper and time LOL)...an exageration but applies to a lot of stuff. [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
My point is, the only walk in brick and mortar woodworking stores that most know of is Woodcraft.
One stop shopping.
I know, I have been there.
They tried to sell me the "pen making chisels"
Little did they know that I knew about HF and I was a cheap Yankee.
I would rather learn how to sharpen by eye than spend the money on something wasteful like a Wolverine jig or a Tormek. I would rather make a sharpening jig if needed.
Some of the best work I have ever seen was done by a turner who mounted a Craftsman bench sander vertically on a post to sharpen his tools.
Actually I believe he has three set up that way.
The concept is the same as the Wolverine system but the inguity is what impressed me.
I have often heard that buying a lathe is the cheapest part of turning.
I don't think it has top be that way.At least not for me, and any chance I get to advise someone to RUN away from the Tool Junkie dealers I will.(They ones who cater to TOOL Snobs)(That is only the second time I have used that term in this forum)[:D]

Rifleman1776

Cheap tools, with some qualifications, will do the same job as the expensive ones. Drawback is much more frequent need to sharpen. Watch out for some cheap tools that do not have long tangs into the handles. No strength and can break as bad times and cause injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom