Tools for a beginner to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

At least a 3/8 round nose scraper and a 1/4 skew, that's what I use (assuming you are just turning pens). That'll get you through your roughing and finishing cuts. You might also like this tool that penn state sells. I have not used it myself but it gets good reviews, and for being carbide, it's cheap at the price.

Look at Cap'n Eddies a taste of carbide set. $75 6 cutters I think.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

IPD_Mr

I went through just about all of the tools when I started out. Gouge, fingernail gouge, scrapers, skews, carbides, parting tools and on and on. After six years I am down to three basic tools. Skew, carbide and parting tools. At first I hated the skew and thought it was a waste of time and money. Always catching and screwing up blanks. I found some DVDs by Alan Lacer on the skew. Through the video I learned how the darned tool worked and quit fighting it. Now I round all of my blanks with a skew then do my finish work with carbide. 220 and 320 grit sandpaper were no longer needed or used. This is what eventually worked for me and I am sure you will hear a dozen other stories that are correct as well. The point I am trying to make is to educate yourself on the tool, technique and sharpening. That will save you some headaches down the road. Good luck.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One thing you should know, the smaller the tool, the more difficult it is to control and the more likely you are to have a mishap.

The carbide tools are great for very dense stuff--bone, etc.

But if you use common skews, gouges, etc---stick with at least 3/4". Those will dampen the vibration and be less likely to "catch".

Hexhead

penststate industries sells a three piece pen Turner's set for $29.95. They're called Benjamin's best. I've got a set, and for the price you can't beat quality.

Top Bottom