tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBandit

i want to know the minimum amount of things u need to make pens. ive been looking at show of your pens forum and it is so cool! i think it would be neat to learn about the art of penturning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyers

I am still very new to this but you should check out some of the suppliers and their Starter kits.

I got the one that I could use my drill press with and have made around a dozen so far.

This came with a mandrel, turning tools, finish, and a few kits and predrilled wood.

Easy way to see if you will like it without spending a bunch on a lathe.

Also check your local Woodcraft as they have some penturning classes that you can use their equipment and turn a pen to keep. This way you really don't have to spend much.

Others will probably have better info but this is how I got started.

gerryr

I agree that taking a class at Woodcraft is a good way to find out if you really want to do this. If you can't do that, I would not recommend buy that thing that you can use on a drill press. Turning pens in a vertical orientation is absolutely not the same as on a lathe. You can get a Jet Mini for around $200. You also need some way to accurately cut the blanks, I used a little aluminum miter box initially, now a benchtop bandsaw. You also need a way to drill the blanks. I would recommend a drill press and PHD vise to hold the blanks. At a miminum you need a skew and a parting tool, actually you can do pretty much anything with just those two lathe tools. You also need some means of sharpening the tools. You will also need a 60 degree live center. Finally a giant set of drill bits and a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight. You also need something to keep your lungs from being the dust collector, I recommend a Triton powered respirator. In case you haven't guessed, the lathe is the cheap part.[:0] Oh yeah, I forgot, you also need pen mills for squaring the ends of the blanks after drilling and gluing in the tubes. And, some means of pressing the parts together. And then there's all the finishing supplies: sandpaper, micromesh, CA in at least 2 consistencies, buffing wheel, buffing compound.

LEAP

Gerry I think you just sent the poor man running from his computer screaming[:D], Seriously Lilbandit, there are a lot of things needed to do it right but for starters you can get by with a lot less. Look through the archives here and you will find a bunch of posts about every thing from the bare minimum to the ultimate setups. Try to find a turner in your area or take a class if you do not have any turning experience. Go to a wood working store and browse through the pen turning books. Read the articles and watch the videos on the home page. Don't be afraid to ask questions but spending some time reading through the old posts is invaluable. Have fun I can't wait to see your first pen in SOYP.
Happy turnings!

rhahnfl

Penn State Industries used to have a dvd that was real good... I think they still have it. Bill at Arizona Silhouette has a real good basic pen turning video. Both videos are pretty inexpensive. They also have intro classes at our WoodCraft store every now and again.

jimmyers

I did not mean to steer someone to using the drill press as I do I just threw that out as an option.

I did not have (And still don't) have the space for a lathe but wanted to start a hobby and the attachment has done good for me so far. That does not mean it will work for everyone. I do not have any experence with a real lathe and probably turn my pens the hard and probably the wrong way but I get the job done so far.

I will have to post images as soon as I can take them.

The method I used to start allowed me to get into the game with the shop equipment I had on hand and a small investment. I will eventually move up to a real lathe and will then have to take a class and unlearn everything I have been doing so far but.....

loglugger

Gerry, have you ever tried one on the drill press with one of the pen turning kit. If you have a drill press that you can clamp on its side then you have a lathe that workes just about as good as any true lathe. I started out this way with a home made set up and made quite a bit of toy car parts and then pens. You can get by and see just how far you want to go before spending a bunch of money.
Bob

ahoiberg

if you live near a major metropolitan area, you can usually get some decent tools for pretty cheap on craigslist. that's how i got a majority (except the lathe) of my tools and they're all just fine. and i'd agree with the search of the forum to find some other versions of this same thread. good luck!

leatherjunkie

i started with just a drill press, hand drill, radial arm saw, jet mini lathe a 3/4" roughing gouge, 1 pen mill, 7 mm drill bit for slim line pens.

in the process i glued my first 2 fingers together. had to pour acetone on fingers till glue seperated.

my dad is a hobby woodworker so he had most of the tools that i needed to get started.

my first pen worked and was basic lookin. it is hiding somewhere in my tool box right now.

so to get started basicly you only need one gouge, sandpaper lathe mandrel, one drill bit one pen mill, something to drill with, something to cut wood with.

you will find that as you progress in this hobby you will be collecting more and more tools.

cdcarter

I already had a drill press and saw, so for me it was a garage sale lathe and pen mill. I use a handscrew with notches for a drilling vise.

Cheap tools are too expensive for most folks, but there's also no point spending a fortune until you're sure you're in this for the long haul. When I've bought "starter" tools, I've been able to sell them and step up without paying a lot more out of pocket than some might think.

For a good middle ground, there are some decent lathes you can find in the $250 range, including the Rikon 10" x 16" that I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom