toolrest question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

Started turning about a year ago, joined your group a couple months ago and have since been turning a wider variety of things (antler, tru-stone, made a couple un-knots). I'm trying a closed end pen now and have done a few stoppers. The toolrest I have is the one that came with the Turncrafter Commander multi-speed (10") so it is 6 inches with a 5/8" post. The toolrest is almost as bowed as my mandrel. When turning closed end pens or stoppers or TBC (my next venture), do you use a shorter tool rest? If so, where can I find one? It seems 6, 9, and 12 are fairly common but haven't seen any shorter ones...or am I just not good enough to work that far away from the blank... I'm thinking a 3or 4 inch would be helpful.
Thanks for your help,
john

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I have a 3 1/2", a 4", a 6" and a 12". For most pens I use the 3 1/2" for stoppers , razors and longer pens I use the 4", seldom use the 6' and have never used the 12".

nava1uni

Rick has made me several to different sizes. I had him make me a 2" one so that I can get close to the miniatures that I turn. They are well made and very reasonably priced.

Last edited:

watch_art

I used a saw and made my own. The Delta 46 460 I have came with a 12 and a... something. Now I have a 5 and a 3. One of those thin cut off wheels in a dewalt angle grinder will do the trick. Then a flat file to clean the sharp edges. No big money invested.

Top Bottom