Toolbox Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have made a few of the CSUSA toolbox pencils recently and am having a problem with the sharpener end. The end on them seems to spin freely and not stay attached to the pencil itself. Is anyone else having a problem with these kits? I went to the CSUSA website to see if I was assembling them improperly, but there instructions for this pencil are missing. Can anyone help me with these or should I use them for target practice?

EDIT: I spoke with CSUSA and I think I wil use these for target practice.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

I'm sure it's not the answer you're looking for, but if it's a toolbox pencil and you can get by sharpening it on sandpaper, just glue the sharpener in place. At least it's not a complete loss!

For the record, I haven't built a CSUSA pencil. I have a toolbox pencil I bought years ago (Koh-I-Noor) and like it so much I bought a Woodcraft version to make for myself. Thing is, I keep forgetting to get the bushings. I've had it for almost 3 years now, and it's still a kit. :/

daniel

bitshird

I think the PSI one is worse, bought 3 had to do major work on two to get the lead to drop down, the Colletes were too tight. I thought the CSUSA one was a better mouse trap??

S

spiritwoodturner

I've made dozens of the CS ones, have never had a problem. I use one in my shop every day that I made years ago. I would be very interested what they said, as I've been pretty vocal about how good their customer service is. I called Rex B. there yesterday about a direct competitor to the Baron (he wasn't in, I'm calling today), and would be interested in a negative experience by someone.

Ken's right on, the PSI mechanism isn't even close...

Dale

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
CSUSA told me to glue it on. It just seems that isn't the proper way to attach 2 pieces of metal together for some reason. Maybe it is the way that it was designed, but it just seems like something isn't right there. The collet section seems to work pretty well.

S

spiritwoodturner

Neil, I just got off the phone with Rex Burningham at CS about another matter and mentioned this. He said to give him a call directly. Their phone people are instructed to replace a kit without question if someone has a problem, and I'm wondering why that didn't happen this time.

I don't mean to butt in on this, but I have made dozens of them, and you should NOT have to glue anything, and my experience has been that they'll make it right for you at all and any costs.

Let us know what the upshot is here.

Dale

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Dale, I appreciate you asking that. I will be seeing Ben Williams
(the big boss and a great guy) in a couple of weeks and will discuss it with him. That way I can actually bring the pencils and show him what I am seeing as an issue. I feel that a visual will have a whole lot more impact.

S

spiritwoodturner

Good deal, Neil! Let us know what happens. I want to know the whole picture of what happens with our vendors, not just my experiences.

Thanks for sharing that,
Dale

I've made a lot of these and yes, you do have to glue the sharpener holder to the tube afterwards,(as was mentioned a couple of drops of CA glue works fine!) that's the way it's designed as opposed the the 'Art Sketch Pencil' that slides through with the sharpener already in place:wink:

S

spiritwoodturner

I got confused, it's the sketch pencil I usually make. But I have made that toolbox pencil before (use one in my shop daily) and just don't remember gluing anything. Does it actually say that in the directions, John? For some reason I can't pull them up on their site. If so, my bad, I'm getting older! If not, I still wonder if that's what is supposed to happen. I reckon Neil will get the definitive word from the big guys soon!

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

John, thanks for that, it may have answered some questions. The one you sent is a Berea kit, not a Craft Supplies, which is what Neil made. It may not matter, but I just do not remember using glue on the toolbox, and for some weird reason (it may be my computer) I can't bring up the instructions on the CSUSA toolbox pencil.

Anyway, at least in my mind, it's still a mystery!

Dale

Yeah, I couldn't pull up the instructions from 'Craft Supplies' either but I have a print out of the instructions, they are identical in nature...the hex coupler in the middle is what prevents the assembly to pass through, like the 'Art Sketch Pencil':wink:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Glueing the coupler in just seems to be the way they want it to go together, but it just seems like a quick fix for something that could be connected in a better way. This is almost like glueing a clip to the side of a pen to me.

Top Bottom