Tool rest post adapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris99210

Does anybody know where I can find an adapter to take a 5/8 inch tool rest post to a 1 inch tool rest post? I have a Jet mini lathe with a tool rest post that is 5/8 inch. I'd like to use a drill jig on the lathe but the one from CSUSA mounts on a 1 inch standard size tool rest post so it won't work on my Jet mini. I've searched for an adapter but can't find one -- probably not looking in the right place. Is there such a thing or do I need to have one made at a machine shop?

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Chris if you have the 1014 you will still have trouble using it because of the height of the jig. It will not center on the spindle. I suggest making a platform and use a dowel or a piece of pipe. You might be able to find a rod in the homecenter.

chris99210

Wow, I didn't consider that it would be too tall, but that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up and saving me the aggravation. I guess I need to move on to plan B...

Gordon

Chris if you have the 1014 you will still have trouble using it because of the height of the jig. It will not center on the spindle. I suggest making a platform and use a dowel or a piece of pipe. You might be able to find a rod in the homecenter.

John - can you describe this "platform" a little more ?

Thanks

Gordon

Russianwolf

It could be done, but it'd look rather funny. You'd need a drop bracket to go in the 5/8 banjo. It would need to drop to the height needed for the other tool. and it may not be stable enough when all is said and done.

My Griz has a swing bracket in the banjo for outboard turning, it is stable as I use it in a couple ways for different tasks, but it has a 1 inch post.

It would likely be safer and more stable to build something that attaches to the ways directly.

Top Bottom