Tool Rest for Jet Mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPadrino

Hello. This is my first post but I have been reading the forum about a month and have learned alot. I went from stumbling across this web site, which really peaked my interest, to buying a lathe to turning a couple of decent looking pens. The members of this site articles' and how to's have been a tremendous help in softening the learning curve. Thank you.
Now to my question. I purchased a jet mini lathe and have noticed my tool rest is tilted(not level) Its about 1/8"-1/4" higher on the left side than the right. Will this effect my work. I plan on making bowls and other project some time in the future. Will the tilted tool rest effect other projects?

Thanks agian for the help,
KP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Is it the tool rest or the holder? That is, is this indicative of a bigger problem, or can you buy one of the tool rest sets from Lamar (which are highly recommended anyway) and not have do worry about whether or not it will have an impact on your projects?

Lamar's tool rest:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14679&SearchTerms=tool,rest

Rifleman1776

Definately contact your vendor or Jet if the problem is with the lathe. If the difference isn't great, how you hold your tools will compensate for the slant. But it's still not good. If you want new or custom rests go to a local welder. I get mine made up for about $10.00 each.

ElPadrino

Thanks for the help. I called amazon.com and they are sending out a replacement. JimGo, thanks for the link to Lamar's tool rest. I plan on ordering a set when I get the new lathe in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom