• Larger (1" ish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scraper

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • None of the above are good

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Mapster

At the moment, I have entry level carbon steel tools, and after trying to turn an m3, I realized I need an upgrade. I have seen a lot of different recommendations and was looking into more options. Unfortunately, I have a pretty tight budget. I only turn pens, but turn every material from wood to tru-stone to m3. Looking for about $40 or less. Also looking for an easier way to turn m3 because it looks so good.

Marshall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

I have been researching it, and it looks nice, but is fairly pricy. Don't you sell that cheaper? If you have some insider information about how great they are, please post it or pm me. I am open to anything good and that sounds like it is good, but I don't know.

PenMan1

You said "about $40". I think the Benjamin's Best CARBIDE pen set for just over $40 is a good set. You can buy the BB carbide pen gouge and skew for about $40 and make your own parting knife from a hacksaw blade, steak knife. or sawsall blade.

Allenk

At the moment, I have entry level carbon steel tools, and after trying to turn an m3, I realized I need an upgrade. I have seen a lot of different recommendations and was looking into more options. Unfortunately, I have a pretty tight budget. I only turn pens, but turn every material from wood to tru-stone to m3. Looking for about $40 or less. Also looking for an easier way to turn m3 because it looks so good.

Marshall
If you're looking for something around the $40 range, you can't beat Benjamin's Best, from Penn State Industries. I've just received my first ones from them, and have sharpened all three. I also sharpened BB spindle and bowl gouges for a friend of mine, and I can tell you they are labeled M2 high speed steel. I've got several other tools... Doug Thompson's gouges, Crown Pro PM gouges, Pinnacle gouges, and I can tell you that they all sharpen the same. Don't know how long they last, when cutting, but for $40 range, I don't think they can be beat.
I have turned the seal shoulder on my bomb trailer wheels using M2 HSS cutters in an Oland Tool. If you order the HSS cutters with 10% Carbon, they'll cut steel a lot better than the normal HSS cutters. I've cut Steel, Aluminum, Copper, and Brass with those, and they'll cut the M3 without a problem.
All that said, if I had had a little more money to spend at this time on tools, I'd have bought Doug Thompson's. They are the best money can buy, as far as I'm concerned.

Attachments

• EZGripHandWheel 2.jpg
    EZGripHandWheel 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 107
  • EZGripHandWheel 3.jpg
    EZGripHandWheel 3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 105

Mark

I voted Spindle Gouge. I used my 3/4" for everything, until I got the Woodchuck Pen Pro.

I'd have said the Woodchuck Pen Pro was the way to go, but not for $40.

Top Bottom