Tool question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasonlmartin

What kind of turning tools should I buy?
I have a small tabletop lathe, so would only be turning small items, and I think I want carbide, as I don't know how to properly sharpen tools. Any advice?
I am currently using an old cheap set and want to upgrade..

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Cheap set of what? OLD? Sometimes you are better off with them for awhile. Learning to sharpen isn't something that will go to waste.

As far as buying tools? My advice is see if someone is close by you that can help you make them. Less expensive by far and there is something to having "Made it yourself". Of course, buying just one tool and working from that is also possible.

My first set of tools came from e-bay. Good place to start if funds are tight.

Dehn0045

Best prices I have found on carbide is IAP vendor ncwoodturningtools.com . I have yet to purchase, so can't comment beyond price.

magpens

This one looks to be a good start:

https://www.ncwoodturningtools.com/...ainless-steel-bar-with-50mm-radius-roughing-i

Just make sure you can always get the replacement carbide cutter and the holding screw. . I think it is nice to know about a backup source before you buy a particular tool although the cutter will last you a long time on wood and acrylic.

Also, you need a handle ... don't try, or even think, to do any turning without a handle.

The price is better than anywhere else. You definitely need the round cutting tool for starters; square is handy; diamond shape cutter is a nice-to-have.

There may be a different model tool, at this site, which is more to your liking ... depends on your make/size of lathe a little bit.

Last edited:

Talltim

John Austin — Member name hanau runs nc woodworking tools.

His carbide tool and a sharp skew do 99 percent of our turning.

Woodchipper

When I started turning, I bought the HF set with the red handles- 7 pieces. I have used all of them on occasion, three most of the time. Last year, I bought the Rikon slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening jig. Carbide would be OK if that is what you want but if you watch the videos of renowned turners, you will find that they use HSS tools. A bit more of a learning experience but I doubt very much if I will ever buy carbide tools. JMHO.

jasonlmartin

When I started turning, I bought the HF set with the red handles- 7 pieces. I have used all of them on occasion, three most of the time. Last year, I bought the Rikon slow speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening jig. Carbide would be OK if that is what you want but if you watch the videos of renowned turners, you will find that they use HSS tools. A bit more of a learning experience but I doubt very much if I will ever buy carbide tools. JMHO.
The thought of learning to turn and learning to sharpen seems a little overwhelming. Probably start with carbide...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

randyrls

Jason; You can sharpen carbide with a credit card diamond hone. Remove the carbide bit from the tool. Turn so the cutting edge is down. Put a drop of water on the diamond hone. Swirl the bit in a figure 8 pattern eight times. Turn 90 degrees and repeat swirl pattern 3 more times. Wipe hone and bit dry on paper towel. Replace bit in tool. I have carbide bits that are 10 YEARS OLD. Had to replace one recently. It got too thin.

magpens

Jason, I agree with you about learning to sharpen ... why spend the time doing that if you don't need to for the type of work you want to do.

I have been making pens for going on 9 years; ~1000 pens all with a carbide tool that I bought from a member here - he customized to my metal working lathe requirement - one tool, 9 years, about 3 replacement cutters (from a different source as the maker of the tool is no longer here). For me that is very productive and I know it would have been frustrating, slower, and discouraging for me to learn to sharpen HSS tools.

I hate to admit that ... but I believe it to be a true statement.

And, BTW, if you don't already have a lathe, I would recommend seriously considering a small metal working lathe from Grizzly or LittleMachineShop .... a bit more expensive initially than a wood lathe, but easier for me to learn, IMHO. . I'd be happy to advise.

Oh, I see you already have a lathe.

JimB

I have a cheap set of Harbor freight tools I bought when I started 10 years ago. I still use them today. I have some Sorby tools as well that get used on a regular basis along with a few other brands. I have a set of EWT Carbide that rarely ever get used. In the past year I have only used them to show other people how they are used.

My recommendation is to learn to sharpen. It isn't that difficult. Just because your tools are 'old and cheap' doesn't mean they need replacing. If you were near me I would invite you over to my shop and show you how to sharpen.

Top Bottom