tool of choice ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

polarbear1

I have only been turning pens since December, and have probably turned over 300. When I first took a pen turning class at woodcraft last December we made our slimline using only a roughing gouge. Which is the only tool I owned for a long time, a few months ago I made my first bowl and bought a bowl gouge and scraper. But on this forum I noticed someone makes the acrylic pens using only a rasp, which makes sense but I have not tried that yet. Someone else said they use predominately a scraper for pens. I went to a local woodturners meeting and a few there said the best tool for acrylic pens is a skew, I don't even own a skew. What is your main tool of choice for both wood and acrylic pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

schak3536

I, too, have been turning pens for only about 6 months, following a Woodcraft class in January. Several weeks ago I graduated from a spindle gouge to an Alan Lacer 5/8" skew. Though it took a little practice to learn the various cuts, I can say it is now my tool of choice for pens. The Alan Lacer video on using the skew was extremely helpful as well.

KT

mdburn_em

I think the question has been asked a couple times. Here are a couple of links that may give you some information.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=65&SearchTerms=tool,of,choice
and then
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=15563&SearchTerms=tool,of,choice

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
Good morning Polarbear.
The tool of choice is entirely how confident you are when turning pens without much deviation to the standard shape. For many months I turned with a 3/4 inch very sharp spindle roughing gouge and this gave me a very good finish off the tool. Because the tool has a fair amount of bulk it is very rigid and not prone to causing any spiralling effect through vibration. I now turn all straight forward pens with a skew because the finish is even better. Acrylics respond very well to a skew and is my tool of choice with this material. Any beads, coves, grooves or whatever, are best done with the appropriate tool for that shape bearing in mind that all tools must be kept very sharp at all times.
I hope this gives you a few thoughts to work on.
Ian

polarbear1

Thanks for the advice and the polls, I guess I could have done a search and found that. Time put a skew on my wish list, and while I am at it I need a spindle gouge. Thanks again

Fred

Polarbear... whatever tool you feel comfortable with is my advice. There are many times when you will need several tools, so I can't say that just one will be the best. I personally use a 1" Robert Sorbey oval skew for much of my work. IF the tool is kept sharp and one learns to avoid catching the blank, then much of the preliminary sanding can be avoided as the skew does much of the work for you.

If you get the skew just do not let it get you down. Many seem to have a bit of learning curve to get through before they realize the tool is for them. Light and careful cuts work for me. That and keeping the edge "scary sharp" all the time. [:D]

gerryr

A spindle gouge? You going to make spindles? If not, you certainly don't need one for making pens. All you really need for making pens is a good skew. But I will admit that not all acrylics/resins respond the same to the same tool. I use both a skew and a heavy round nose scraper on plastics, depending on the source. Some are harder than others and, for me, they respond better to a scraper for most of the turning. I always switch to a skew when I get close to size. On wood, I use a skew, start to finish, for probably 99% of the pens I make. If I have to remove a lot of wood, I will sometimes use a scraper to get the blanks smaller, but that's just because it seems quicker for me.

bjackman

Gerry,
Yes, A spindle gouge.... [}:)]
Most of penturning is spindle turning. We just have a hole drilled down the middle of our turning and have glued a brass tube into it. It could be argued that some of our bias cut and crosscut woods might not be considered spindle turning, but for the most part most wood pens are done with the grain lenghtwise.
I use a spindle gouge and a mini roughing gouge for much of my penturning. I also use skews, scrapers, parting tools and occasionally, screwdrivers, dental picks and clay carving picks as needed.
I say try a variety of tools and see what works best for you. Many here say they use a skew from start to finish. Not me. [:I] I can get things down to size and shape much quicker with a gouge. Then break out the skew, or maybe not... you can get nearly a skew like finish just by modifying the way you hold/use your gouge by kindof angling it sideways and getting almost a peeling/planing cut.
YMMV, IMONSHO, etc, etc, etc, disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.....[:)]

I use a roughing gouge, then a 3/4" spindle gouge to get close to the profile and then skews.

I love my roughing gouge, lol. I really do:

20077111419_the_roughing_gouge.jpg

Rudy Vey

Use the tool that gives you the best result and you are comfy with. I believe there is too much discussion and arguing about the best tool, and everyone has its own preference. I have seen last year at the AAW symposium world class turners that used some home made tools that originally never were meant to be used as turning tools.
Its like golf, its not the club (say tool) that makes you play good, it is practice, practice and talent.
For me the choice is some kind of gouge, spindle (yes pens are in principle hollow spindles)or roughing depends on my moods, but mostly the spindle gouge (my bowl gouges are just too large for pens). Then I finish up with a skew that I mostly use in a scraping mode. I never use a scraper per se for pen turning, however, it is a tool I use often for boxes, bowls.
The main thing is that your tools are sharp, and this is valid for any material. A tip for acrylics, sometimes it is good to knock off the corners, using a belt or disc sander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom