Took the time to fix nagging issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I've been using the same lathe for many years now and I use it 98% of the time to turn pens. Taking the tool rest on and off to sand the blanks always requires re-adjusting the tool rest height when returning it to the lathe. I seem to always have to shut off a couple times to adjust the height of it. Not a big issue but tonight I decided to "fix" the issue. Took a piece of UHMW material and drilled it to fit the post then turned it into a "spacer" to fit on my tool rest post. Now when I remount it to the lathe it is the perfect height every time. Simply, easy, cheap and works. Should have done it a long time ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2525 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2525 (Medium).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2526 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2526 (Medium).JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2527 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2527 (Medium).JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Good fix!

Wish I could fix my lathe's banjo toolrest height issue .....

Mine sits a tad too high for me to be comfortable up close with some of my tools, especially my carbide bit cutter (it sits up an extra half inch or so), so when using carbide my toolrest is usually 2 to 2 and a half inches away from the work and I'm aiming it down towards the center point...

plantman

Great idea to fix your tool rest problem !! I also noticed a difference in height when I went to use my new Ultra interchangeable tip carbide chisel on my mini lathe as I was turning some acorns for Christmas the other day. The new carbide chisel edges sit about a 1/4" to 3/8" higher that a standard chisel. Not a big deal on a larger turning, but quite noticeable on a pen or acorn !! Jim S

Last edited:

Rockytime

Good fix!

Wish I could fix my lathe's banjo toolrest height issue .....

Mine sits a tad too high for me to be comfortable up close with some of my tools, especially my carbide bit cutter (it sits up an extra half inch or so), so when using carbide my toolrest is usually 2 to 2 and a half inches away from the work and I'm aiming it down towards the center point...

I milled 1/2" off my banjo. A friend with a mill can do it, a machine shop can do it inexpensively or a hacksaw can do it for free. It is more than likely cast iron which saws easily. Too tall a tool rest is discouraging.

Skie_M

The problem is that if I did that, the screw that locks the toolrest in position on the banjo would be cut off ... o_O It's just over half an inch from the top of the banjo.

jttheclockman

The problem is that if I did that, the screw that locks the toolrest in position on the banjo would be cut off ... o_O It's just over half an inch from the top of the banjo.

Drill and tap a new hole. Is that the original tool rest that came with the lathe??? I have never heard of any lathe, even the cheap ones where the tool rest can not be lowered below center. Is the tool rest bottoming out on the banjo or is the shaft of the tool rest hitting the bottom. What lathe is this??

Last edited:

Skie_M

Drill and tap a new hole. Is that the original tool rest that came with the lathe??? I have never heard of any lathe, even the cheap ones where the tool rest can not be lowered below center. Is the tool rest bottoming out on the banjo or is the shaft of the tool rest hitting the bottom. What lathe is this??

The tool rest bottoms out right on the banjo.

Harbor Freight Mini Wood Lathe 8x12 ...

I was quite surprised that the toolrest couldn't go lower than 3/8ths inches below center.

Skie_M

Yup, that's my lathe ... :)

I'm guessing it would be easy enough to just use my 1 inch belt sander to grind away the top of the banjo and clean it up .... at least get it close, for now, and possibly drill and tap a new hole later, if I need to go lower.

csr67

Yup, that's my lathe ... :)

I'm guessing it would be easy enough to just use my 1 inch belt sander to grind away the top of the banjo and clean it up .... at least get it close, for now, and possibly drill and tap a new hole later, if I need to go lower.

I started out on a HF mini and had that same issue. Take a Dremel tool and grinding wheel and just reduce the shoulder on The banjo near the post. Takes all of 5 minutes and allows more adjustment. I returned my HF mini to HF for a full refund after 2 months and they did not notice the modification.

Top Bottom