Too small drill bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JAB1

Ok .....I did not have a 27/64 drill bit for a Wall Street II pen...drilled it with a 10mm bit.....reamed it out with a small wood rasp....took me awhile, but it worked..brass barrel went in tightly.....what do you think of this?...is this OK?.....maybe I should spring for a bit.....also, where can one buy a good set of bits to fit most of the kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I think getting the numeric, fractional and letter bit set is a smart idea.

When you start drilling other things rather than just for brass tubes, you will be amazed at how much more of an arsenol you have with all three sizes of bits to choose from. If I could find a decently priced set of metric bits I would have them as well.

Actually one of the popular kits recommends the 10.5mm bit but I prefer the letter Z bit and if memory serves, that is what I use on the Sierra as well.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some woods will move with humidity and major temp changes and crack, regardless of the finish. Too tight of a fit might contribute to this too. I personally am skeptical of fits that are too tight on thin wood, even stabilized.

But personally, if it were me, I will always try something to see how it works for me. No harm in experimenting. If you do this, always buy a few extra tubes. Small amount of money well spent and great learning experience.

fyrcaptn

Okay - since drilling is the subject....
How much problem have you all had with non-brad point bits 'wandering'?
So far I use a 7mm brad point, and if I need larger I then pull out the right size from the HF set and redrill. Works well BUT - is the 2 step process necessary? Maybe I've read too much and I'd love to simplify things a bit if I can.
As for the HF set really well spent money. It was about $50 - but was on sale and I have about 40 in it. WIth our local hardware choices as they are - (sigh) letter size bits go for abour 8-10 each. so quickly the set saves me money in a hurry. Add this to the cost of over sizing a good blank or two and its even more economical... just my 1 1/2 cents worth inflation ya know

gcurran

Originally posted by fyrcaptn

Okay - since drilling is the subject....
How much problem have you all had with non-brad point bits 'wandering'?

None.:D For what it is worth... I drill on the lathe using multiple passes for the larger size holes. I start with a center drill, then drill through with about 1/4, then about 3/8, then final size. Too many years hanging around mechanical engineers and machinists I guess. The only drills that I have that are brad point are the metric sizes, the rest are from a HF 115 piece set. I dont want to get into speed as that will open a big discussion.;);)

Top Bottom