Too Small

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I was turning my 2nd Pith Pen last night and while drilling out the blanks I found that the large tube was almost a press fit. It is 33/64 drill and it measures correctly. The tube is with in specs and is pretty thin so not sure I want to take any off that. Going to a 17/32 bit I think would be to big. What would you all do.???

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

I normally wrap some sandpaper around a dowel until and sand until I get a good fit.

Ditto... when I do Churchills the drill size for the cap I use is slightly undersized. I wrap some sandpaper around a transfer punch and sand the inside of the hole until I it slides in with ease..

Wade

sbell111

Perhaps if you told us what kit you are working on, we could tell you what size bit we use. If you are using the same sized bit as we are, then there is likely a problem with your tube being the wrong size and you will have problems with assembly.

JimB

Once in a while I have a blank that I need to run the drill bit through a second time becuase of shrinkage. It also helps to let the bit cool off as I find this is more of a problem when drilling several blanks one after the other and the bit heats up.

lorbay

Perhaps if you told us what kit you are working on, we could tell you what size bit we use. If you are using the same sized bit as we are, then there is likely a problem with your tube being the wrong size and you will have problems with assembly.

I could but then my Pith partner will know what he is getting:redface::redface:
I will try as mentioned above.
Lin.

Justin_F

Hi Lorbay, you wouldn't believe it but I have the same problem with a brand new 33/64 drill bit on a segmented blank I imported from Woodcraft just yesterday. After having my engineer father in law take a look he confirmed that the drill was perfectly sized and should have made a loose fit for the brass tube (in this case a Roman Harvest from www.timberbits.com). He eventually diagnosed wobble in the (quite long) drill bit. The ends of the blank were the right size but somehow the mid section of the blank was a tight fit. I was drilling on the lathe so I was quite surprised. After holding the bit on my hand to get it started the next blank drilled just fine.
For what its worth...
Justin

Carl Fisher

I've been fine tuning with a small set of hobby files until I'm happy with the fit. I tend to drill about .01 smaller than the tube to allow for a bit of run out in the drill press and then finish it off manually.

sbell111

Hi Lorbay, you wouldn't believe it but I have the same problem with a brand new 33/64 drill bit on a segmented blank I imported from Woodcraft just yesterday. After having my engineer father in law take a look he confirmed that the drill was perfectly sized and should have made a loose fit for the brass tube (in this case a Roman Harvest from www.timberbits.com). He eventually diagnosed wobble in the (quite long) drill bit. The ends of the blank were the right size but somehow the mid section of the blank was a tight fit. I was drilling on the lathe so I was quite surprised. After holding the bit on my hand to get it started the next blank drilled just fine.
For what its worth...
Justin

I'm not understanding how 'drill bit wobble' would result in a smaller hole.

Top Bottom