Too good to waste...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

A few days ago I had a visitor for QLD that had scored some PNG Rosewood wood and Burl so, we agreed on a small swap with some of my Olive Root/Burl and other stuff.

There wasn't much but enough for me to cut and select half a dozen burl blanks for myself, and cut the rest up into pen blanks for my most regular wood buyers.

The wood has left me thin strips that were far too thin for a normal pen blank size so, I decided to rip them all at 5mm thickness x 21mm high and do some casting with them.

I just had enough wood for making 3 molds of 7 blanks each but only enough resin to pour on 2 of them so, I got them in the pressure pot and let them set overnight.

I never had anything to do with PNG Rosewood but I can tell you that, the wood is oily and an absolute pain to get the PR(Polyester) resin to stick to (similar top the Olive wood) so, I had lots of thin CA soaking to do after I got them trimmed and cleaned up.

They are strong now, as I made a sample from each of the lots to try out, samples that are still big enough to make any type pen from, if necessary.

Very pretty wood and burl but I wouldn't like to have to do many Resifills from, Mannie(Monty) would get rich out of the thin CA I would need (and I buy already a fair amount of it...!)

Still, would I like to have more of this burl or have it growing locally...??? you betcha I would...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: The last pic is from a blank that I made the sample from last week, if you can tell me, excatly what it is (wood species), I will send you a 500gr package with them, free of any charge...!:wink::biggrin:
Cheers
George

Attachments

• 006w.jpg
    006w.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 010w.jpg
    010w.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 011w.jpg
    011w.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 012w.jpg
    012w.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 004w.jpg
    004w.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 310
  • 013w.jpg
    013w.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 016w.jpg
    016w.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 017w.jpg
    017w.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 018w.jpg
    018w.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 021w.jpg
    021w.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

Russknan

Beautiful stuff, George. Love your work! I want to be YOU when I grow up . . . although growing up is looking less and less likely as time goes on. Russ

robutacion

Beautiful stuff, George. Love your work! I want to be YOU when I grow up . . . although growing up is looking less and less likely as time goes on. Russ

While I appreciate your sentiment and words very much, is absolutely no reason why you can't be you, and do what I do, is not that difficult, really...!:wink:

As for the likelihood of growing up in our days, not knowing your age I can only say that, while in one way you have more chances to achieve that in today's development than 100 years ago HOWEVER, that is also a proportional aspect of the contrary if, you fall too far off the "tracks", not dismissing that fact that, I'm a strong believer that, we all have "our time to go" and when that time is reached, there is nothing anyone can do, period...!

So, and in the mean time, you seem to be in a very good position to take advantage of your natural interest and increase your "creation" capabilities but practising or, how they say it here in land of OZ, "give it a go...!" you will be surprised what you can achieve.

This is a place where many of us share our experiences and secrets, we all learn from each other even though only a few will admit it, we get kindly rewarded when we get kind words such as yours, thank you.

Cheers
George

robutacion

If the last one had grown on my farm , I would say it is birch , but because it grew in Australia , I probably couldn`t even pronounce it , even if I knew what it is .

Hahahaha, that was the funniest expression of, "I've got no F@$#%&! idea...!":eek::wink::biggrin::biggrin:

I may give a few "clues" to you and NotURMailman or anyone else, really, I may say that, the species is listed on my timbers list, the previous tree (and only one till now) did produce fruit however, these do not, looking very different in tree appearance and specially the wood, because these ones are......?????

OK, lets see if someone gets the hint...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

She-oak, the male version?

Actually, there is a name for the male species, that is Bull-Oak or also known as Buloke. This species is protected in most states and quite rare to find, this happened after someone tested and published the Janka hardness/density of 5060 lbf then, people started to cut is as the demand was crazy. Never was that much out there so now is getting pretty scars...!

As for all the "guesses" so far, all are negative, sorry...!

Another clue;

The variety that produces fruit, is well known to make some nice jam and when someone eats/picks it when not suppose to, the evidence left behind is unmistakable...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

mmoncur

Apricot?

All I know for sure is that while trying to research this I looked at your eBay shop and now I'm going to end up going broke paying for international shipping...

robutacion

So far, all guesses are incorrect, sorry...!

Another clue;
The "relative" of this one that produces fruit, is one of those fruits that a little too much and your toilet time will increase, considerably...!:eek::biggrin:

PS: alxe24, Hickory is not part of my timbers list that has 69 names on it...!

Cheers
George

stonepecker

PLEASE, forgive my spelling. My guess is it a "wood" that we normally don't think of being a wood. Something from the berry family that starts out as a vine? Like Black berry or Bosinberry. Growing wild along a fence line?

Whatever it is, you did a wonderful job of using it.

steamshovel

I made a few pens and the wood resembles my pen. The top half was Myrtle wood and the bottom was Myrtle wood. The difference was 1/2 was lighter and the other half was darker. Some were almost the color as you have shown. I wish I knew what that wood is, so if I hang tight I may find out.

fitty

This has had me puzzled since my first guess. I've spent the evening searching and believe its related to the quinces. I believe it's the flowering quince or sometimes call Japanese quince.

robutacion

And the winner is...???

I think he's enjoying torturing us! LOL

Absolutely not mate, I'm just allowing everyone to have a go and have some fun while a little bit of educational stuff is going in the mix, just as I like it...

Geezz, I have been unable to check this thread since yesterday and I can see that, we have some very determine members and lots of guesses HOWEVER, the WINNER has been found at about 12 (ish) AM, and what a guess that was, short and almost precise.

I mean almost because, before the name of this "thing" and what makes it not bare fruit is, the fact that is a "wild" variation of the species...!:eek: yes, that's right however, I wasn't expecting anyone to go that far, even though I mentioned it a couple of times.

I'm happy with the correct name of the fruiting variant and before I announce who that person is (well, I have a decision to make about a second person, also...!:eek::rolleyes:), I will leave you with 4 pics of the "culprits" before I cut them down...!

Talking about being a pain...!:wink::):biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 002m.jpg
    002m.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 003m.jpg
    003m.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 005m.jpg
    005m.jpg