tn gold finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Ok, so I had a wood pen that had a finish problem( rarely happens) and I wanted to buff it before disassembling it to see if I could even out the surface. I used the white diamond wheel at about 800 rpm and buffed the gold finish right off the clip and cap finial... in about 10 seconds it was silver. Crap, I thought TN gold was a bit more durable than that! Does that sound right or shall I complain about the finish? I am afraid to sell a TN gold finish if thats expected to happen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Glen - different distributors have different platers. I ran a test 3 years ago on Berea and CS USA Gold Ti and found it held up extramemly well to 5 minutes of buffing with corduroy. I think you have a legitimate complaint.

Ligget

The price they charge for the Ti Gold option I would complain, you may have received a non-titanium gold kit with the wrong lable on.[V]

Rudy Vey

I cannot believe that this was TiGold. You may have had a kit that was wrongly labeled. I have buffed assembled pens, both TiGold and Platinum, and never have removed the plating. From what company did you buy the kit?? Berea's TiGold is excellent and should hold up very well. I have no experience with CSUSA TiGold, but with their Rhodium and this held up well when I buffed it. Titanium Nitride coatings, that is what we call TiGold, is a very, very durable plating and is widely used in forging tooling, as well as other tooling for cold forming and cutting tools are also often coated with it (you may have seen these gold colored drill bits).

Update: I just went down in my basement and did a test. I buffed an old TiGold flattop pen that I carry and use for at least 5 or 6 years.

I loaded my wheel freshly with white diamond and buffed the clip of the (old, used) pen for exactly one minute at 1200 rpm. There was no change in the looks, it looked the same as before. So, this for me is an indication that you did not have a TiGold kit!!

arioux

Hi,

You might want to let know your reseller ASAP. If he his one of the good one he will react fast and might want to know about it. Like Rudy said, this is not TI gold, probably miss labeled.

Alfred

loglugger

Originally posted by oobak

Ok, so I had a wood pen that had a finish problem( rarely happens) and I wanted to buff it before disassembling it to see if I could even out the surface. I used the white diamond wheel at about 800 rpm and buffed the gold finish right off the clip and cap finial... in about 10 seconds it was silver. Crap, I thought TN gold was a bit more durable than that! Does that sound right or shall I complain about the finish? I am afraid to sell a TN gold finish if thats expected to happen.

It will be helpful if you will give us feed back on this as where you got the kit and what they did about it.
Bob

Top Bottom