Titebond III and celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

Anyone else have trouble with Titebond III on celtic knots? I have had a number of blanks come apart when drilling a 27/64" bore. I am using a new pilot point bit and am drilling slowly. I feel heat build up and that is only after drilling a 1/2" or so. would I be better off with epoxy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

Anyone else have trouble with Titebond III on celtic knots? I have had a number of blanks come apart when drilling a 27/64" bore. I am using a new pilot point bit and am drilling slowly. I feel heat build up and that is only after drilling a 1/2" or so. would I be better off with epoxy?

Nearly all glues we use are heat sensitive, CA, Epoxy and Titebond. In fact Titebond can be used as a heat setting glue for veneer, coat base, let dry for an hour then iron on the veneer. You can't let the heat build up or the glue bonds will get soft. I drill all my segmented/inlayed blanks on the lathe using a collet chuck ( helps hold them together). Drill about 1/4" at a time, withdraw bit and feel of it, if it is uncomfortably hot, cool it with a damp paper towel (water or alcohol) , when the bit gets too hot to touch comfortably, your getting close to the softening point. This takes a little longer but can save a blank. I have done quite a number of blanks and when I hurry and they get too hot, something gives!

You can actually separate glue joints by heating them with a heat gun to about 200 deg F or so.

JasonJ

That's what I did when I started, now I don't use brad point bits because I've found they grab more and have a tendency to blow out the blanks at the glue seams...especially if you use soft metals for inlays. I use the blank drilling chuck sold by PSI and wrap my blanks tightly in tape before drilling to give more support. I've been having a lot better luck since taking these actions. Good luck.

oneptbuk

I don't use Titebond when I glue the segments, but I think the most important part that was already mentioned is using support for the blank when drilling. Some folks wrap with twine and soak that with CA while drilling and others wrap with pieces of wood. There was a very good thread a few months ago on how to stabilize segmented blanks for drilling.

I use thick CA and haven't had trouble as long as I drill slow, don't use a brad point bit, and support the blank.

Top Bottom